1. What is a Card Type?
Type is a card property used to categorize different types of work in your process e.g. "Defect", "Customer Request", "Meeting", etc. It is the Project manager who creates the types in accordance with the project itself, the process specifics and the team expertise, etc (check p. 4 below).
Types not only help team members to group together cards from the workflow but also facilitate:
- KPI metrics collection
- process analysis
- process improvements.
2. How to apply a card type?
There are several ways to apply a type to your card:
Option 1: To apply a type Open the card and click the default Type icon at the top left corner.
The system produces a dropdown list with all Types added to the board -> select the one that best matches the nature of the task -> Update the card to save all changes.
Note: The list of types is divided into two groups: Recent Types and Other Types.
Recent Types contain the most relevant and frequently used types in the respective workflow. The Other Types list contains the rest of the types.
As a result, the Type icon appears at the top left corner of the closed card view.
Option 2: Once it is on the card, you don’t need to open it again to change the type. Just click the icon for quick access and apply your new change.
TIP: To display the card type at the closed card view -> you have to configure the corresponding Card settings -> uncheck the "Hide Card type" box.
Option 3: Set up type from the card Context menu. Users can quickly set up or change the type of single or multiple cards. To add a type, open the Context menu and select the respective icon. It opens a box with all types, assigned to the board.
3. How to create a new Card Type?
You have to be an Account Owner or a Workspace Manager to be able to create and manage card Types in your Workspaces and boards. Card Types are created on a Workspace basis and become available in all belonging boards.
To create a new Type, go to the Dashboard and access the:
- Workspace settings to display a menu -> then select Manage boards. Note that you can use a shortcut and select Create Types.
- Board Settings to display a menu -> then select Board settings and go to Types.
The Types panel provides a convenient overview of all existing types and the respective boards that types belong to. To create a new Type -> select the "Add new type" button.
In the New Card Type panel:
Enter any type name suitable for your process (3). Furthermore, you can define a color (1) and select a dedicated icon (2) that’s appropriate for your new card type.
In this way cards of a selected type will stand out among the others.
(4) Describe when a user should classify a task as such (this is optional).
(5) You can select to display all cards of this type in the selected icon color. Overriding the card color will update the color of all existing cards of this type. Note that users will be not able to manually change the card color as long as a card is of a certain type.
(6) You can select the boards on which your newly created type card will be available. By default, it applies to all boards in the Workspace.
Click the corresponding “x” button to exclude the boards not suitable for the new type. Note that if you create a new board in the respective Workspace, it will automatically obtain the existing type.
4. How to manage type settings?
Access the Types tab in the Workspace and Board Settings.
To Edit/Copy/Move/Delete type, use the three dots icon of the respective Type and perform the action. You can also click the Type name itself to manage the type.
5. How does "type" help in the work process?
- Applying types helps team members visualize better the different work on their boards.
Take advantage of the Board filter to display only cards of a selected type.
Go to the Board sidebar and select the Board filter icon (1). Go to the Type field (2) and use the dropdown field to select the type you are interested in. This instantly filters your board and you get a clean view relevant to your selection.
Note: Use the green icon on the top of your board to switch off the board filter.
- The Cadr Type property facilitates further Reporting, KPI metric collection, and process analysis. Create reports by type via the Advanced search tool.
Using the Search tool, users can quickly get reports for a group of cards with common characteristics.
Refine your search, select the "Board" and "Type" criteria to narrow down your search, then set up the values (Board name and type selection) and run the report to get the desired result.
You will get all the cards of the selected type in a table format. Reports can be shared, pinned as widgets or downloaded in Excel spreadsheets.
- Card Types in the Analytics
Using Kanban metrics is necessary for understanding how your team is performing and where they need to improve. Most of the analytics modules have a filter, so you can isolate card criteria such as: Type and analyze cards of a certain type. For more information, please check the following articles:
Cycle Time chart
Created vs Finished chart
The process control chart
The heat map
- Card Types in Business Rules
The "type" property is available as an option in the Business Rules configuration panel.
Project Managers can create different automations using the type field.
Here is a very common scenario that is implemented via the Time-based rule. A typical example would be to send a notification email one day before a deadline of a certain card type.