1. Definition of a Card Template
To create a template, you first have to create a card and set up predefined properties that will be constant for the cards for which the template is applied. This will cut the time it takes to set up all the properties every time when a new card is created. Just apply the template and the card will convert to the desired complex structure.
2. How to create a card template?
Templates are created and added on a project level.
2.1 To create a Card Template → go to the main Dashboard, where all your projects and boards are located and select:
- the three dotted icon of the Project blue ribbon to open the menu -> select Manage boards
- the three dotted icon of the corresponding Board -> select Board settings
2.2 Both navigations will open the "Project and Boards Settings" panel (img.1)-> select the Templates tab.
2.3 Click on the ADD NEW TEMPLATE button to create a new template - > type the template name and the description (this is optional).
For example: If this card template is to be applied to bug-related cards-> name the template: Bugs and click on the green checkmark sign to add the template.
2.4 As a next step, a standard Kanban card will open up in order to set up and save the properties associated with this template.
- set up the priority of the card to: high
- color: select a specific color that is dedicated to the bug- related tickets. This will create a better visualization for your team.
- set up the card type to "bug" for better reporting further.
- select custom field, relevant to the card
Click on Save details and the template will be saved and ready to be used.
The template you create will be added in the List of templates of the corresponding panel.
Upon creation, it will be also available on all boards in the respective project and it will instantly appear in the Template field of all cards.
3. How to apply a template to your card?
To apply a template, use the Load template icon of a new or an existing card and select the template from the dropdown list.
Every time, when you create a card and select the template (for example "Bugs") -> the newly created card will get the properties you have defined upon your initial template configuration.
You will be able to either apply all predefined attributes or you can remove the Select all checkmark and deselect the values that you do not want to be preserved for that particular card.
Click on "Apply" to load the template to the card.
4. Template settings. How to Edit/Move/Delete a template
Use the template settings icon to Edit/Copy/Move/Delete templates.
5. How to set up a default template to a board?
If a board is designed for processing of a specific card category only (for example: bugs) that have a specific set of properties -> the Project managers can set up a default template for the board.
As a result, every new card, created on that board will automatically get the template predefined design and structure.
To set up a default template -> go to the sidebar at the right side of the respective board and select -> Configure Card View -> Board Settings.
In the Board Settings tab -> select the template that you want to apply from the Default template dropdown list -> Save Board Settings.