1. What is a Custom Field?
With the custom fields, you can easily personalize your cards and collect any data in the process.
Account Owners and Workspace managers can create custom fields.
You assign Custom fields to boards in order to make them available in the cards.
A typical example of custom fields suitable for the Accounting department is "Budget" or "Cost".
If the custom fields you create are marked as "mandatory" they become available every time when a new card is created. For example:
If custom fields are not marked as mandatory, they become available as a selection in the cards and users can add them only when necessary. Let's see it in action:
Note that users with the relevant permissions could also share Custom fields between the workspaces in their accounts.
The purpose of this article is to show how to:
- make use of the existing predefined custom fields in the system (p.2)
- create a new custom field (p.3)
- add a custom field to boards
- share custom fields among Workspaces
- make custom fields mandatory
2. How to add predefined Custom fields?
All custom fields are managed from the Workspace and Board settings:
- Click the Workspace settings -> select Manage boards to display the "Workspace and Boards Settings" or directly go to Manage Custom Fields.
- Click the Board settings -> select Board settings to display the "Workspace and Boards Settings" panel
From the "Workspace and Boards Settings" panel (img.1) > select the top right tab named "Custom Fields".
In the dedicated Custom fields panel, you will see the:
- Add a new custom field button (1)
- the predefined custom fields (2)
There are 3 existing predefined fields that might be useful in your process:
- Reporter: if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a card on that the board the system will automatically display the user who created the card (card creator).
- Created at: if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a new card the system will automatically display the time (date/hour) when it was created.
- Last modified: if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a new card the system will automatically display the last time the card was modified (date/hour).
To be able to add any of these predefined custom fields to your cards, you need to assign it to the respective board first. Click the three dots icon of any of the predefined fields and select one or more boards from the list to add the custom field to.
If you want to make your custom field mandatory for the cards, go back to the "Workspace and Board Boards" Settings panel and select the supporting Custom fields control menu. Use the pencil icon that belongs to the field that you want to mark as mandatory. Checkmark the "mandatory" box.
Please, watch the short video below:
3. How to create custom fields and add them to the boards?
To create a new custom field, go to Workspace and Board settings, then click Custom fields on the top of the panel and select the "ADD NEW CUSTOM FIELD" button.
Step 1: Enter the custom field name in the text box (1)
Step 2: Choose the type from the dropdown (2): Text, Date, Number, Contributor, Link, Dropdown.
- Text - select it if the input relevant to the custom field is a certain name or content. For example, if your custom field is "Document name"you should select text.
- Date - select it if the purpose of the custom field is to collect dates. For example, if your custom field is "Started at", you should select a "date" type. This way you will format a date to your input field.
- Number - select it if users should input some numeric values e.g. 100
- Contributor - select it if you need another registered Kanbanize user to become visible on the card as a second assignee. The custom field will produce a dropdown list with all users assigned to the board.
- Link - select it if users will input URL in the respective custom field
- Dropdown - enter values in the field numbered 3 to create a dropdown. This allows the user to choose one value from a list.
Step 3: When you create your custom field, you can enter a default value (3) that will be constant input for your custom field.
Important: Now your field is created and you have to add it to a board or a few boards in the Workspace. Click the green checkmark and select the boards from the Boards list that appears.
Once you complete the creation process, the custom fields get stored in the same panel under "Fields in workspace" section:
- you can make the custom field reusable in other workspaces. Set a checkmark under "Share between workspaces". If you want to use the field in other Workspaces, don't forget to add it to the Boards under the Workspace.
- use the settings icon under "Actions" to edit, delete the respective custom field or open the "Boards List" panel.
Note: The panel separates your own Custom fields from the Predefined custom fields.
4. How to Manage Custom Fields from Board Settings?
As mentioned above, you can access the Custom fields panel directly from Board settings.
Click the Board settings to open the Workspace and Boards Settings Panel.
Instead of opening the Custom fields panel at the top (1), please pay attention to the supporting Custom fields panel below (2).
- The Choose field dropdown menu stores all fields that you have created for the Workspace or have been shared with you as well as the predefined custom fields. NOTE: At the bottom of the dropdown menu, you have a shortcut to the Add New Custom field panel.
- You can easily select a custom field and assign it to another board in the Workspace (Use Manage Boards)
- You can set up a default value and make the custom field Mandatory.
You can add default values to your custom fields.
In the case of а Dropdown type with a comma, you enumerate your drop-down list values.