1. How to Manage Custom fields at a PROJECT level?
The custom fields in Kanbanize allow you to add more properties to your cards, which are relevant to your project, use-case, etc. Custom fields are made available on a board level, but you can also share them between projects.
To create and manage Custom Fields → go to the main Dashboard, where all your projects and boards are located and select:
- the three dots icon of the Project to open the menu -> select Manage Custom Fields
- the three dots icon of the corresponding Board -> select Board settings
Both options open the "Project and Boards Settings" panel (img.1)-> select the Custom Fields tab.
There you can find the predefined custom field in the system and/or you can create new ones.
1.1 How to select and add predefined custom fields?
There are 3 predefined fields in the Custom Field panel (img.1)
- Reporter (1): if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a card the system will automatically display on it, the user who created the card (card creator).
- Created at (2): if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a new card the system will automatically display the time (date/hour) when it was created.
- Last modified (3): if you add this custom field to the board, every time when you create a new card the system will automatically display the last time the card was modified(date/hour).
To make any of the predefined fields available on your board, respectively cards:
Step 1: Click the dotted icon of the corresponding Predefined field and select the Assigned Boards icon to open the Board Lists panel.
Step 2: Checkmark one or more boards from the Boards list to make the custom field available.
Step 3: (Optional)
To make the predefined custom fields mandatory for the cards -> open the Project and Board board settings panel (click on Manage Boards) -> go the other Custom fields control menu (1).
You will find all predefined custom fields in the - Added in the board - section.
Use the pencil icon that belongs to the filed you want to make mandatory. This activates the edit mode -> checkmark the Mandatory box.
When a custom field is mandatory, every time when you create a card it will be displayed in the Cards Field sections under Custom Fields (img.2).
Otherwise, you have to manually add it to the card via the Card Fields plus icon (1).
To make the predefined custom fields visible at the closed card view (img.3), go to Card settings-> checkmark Custom fields.
1.2 How to create and add your own custom field?
To create a new custom field:
Step 1: Open the Custom Fields tab and click on the ADD NEW CUSTOM FIELD button (+) on the top of the Project and Boards Settings panel.
Step 2: Enter the custom field name in the text box (e.g. Price) and choose the data type from the dropdown: Text, Date, Number, Contributor, Link, Dropdown.
Input a default value (this is optional*) and click on the checkmark button to create the field (img.2).
* If you enter a default value it will be constant data for that field.
Step 3: To be able to add this custom field to your cards, you need to assign it to the board(s) first. Checkmark one or more boards from the Boards list panel.
Once you complete this action -> the custom field will be added to the board(s) and will be also displayed in the Projects and Boards Settings Panel under the "Fields in Project" category (img.3)
Note: The panel separates the own Custom fields from the Predefined fields.
Step 4 (Optional):
* Apply the SHARE BETWEEN PROJECTS (checkmark) if you want to make the custom field reusable for other projects within the account. Use the Actions icon to enable the edit mode and checkmark the "Share" box.
Note: If you want to use the field in other Projects, don't forget to add it to the Boards under the project.
* Use the ACTIONS button to: assign it to other boards, edit or delete the field.
2. How to Manage Custom Fields at a BOARD level?
As mentioned in the introduction of the article, you can create and add a custom field to individual boards. The navigation is similar to the one described above. Use the settings icon of a board and select Board Settings to open the Project and Board Settings.
2.1 Add a default custom field
Once you have set up your account and you have created the custom fields for your teams and projects, you will be able to use the top Custom fields tab or the Custom fields expandable menu at the bottom of the panel (img.3).
Go to the supporting Custom field panel -> use the Choose field dropdown menu to select and add to the Board one of the predefined custom fields or any of the fields created/shared for the Project.
Just select the fields -> set a default value (optional); make it mandatory (optional) and add it to the board via the "Add to Board" button.
Note: The selected Board where it will be made available is marked in grey to the left side of the panel.
The drop-down has the Add new field option that will navigate you to the main Custom fields tab -> ADD NEW CUSTOM FIELD (img.1) - repeat the steps described in p.1 to create a new field.
Important: When you add the selected custom fields to any of the Kanban boards, they appear as choices in the Custom field section of each task - click on Add Field -> select the custom field and it will appear on the card.
If the field is mandatory, it will be instantly displayed on the newly created card and no extra actions are required.
2.2 Default Values Inside the Custom Fields
You can add default values to your custom fields. In the case of а Dropdown type with a comma, you enumerate your drop-down list values.