1. How to Manage Custom fields at a PROJECT level?
The custom fields in Kanbanize allow you to add more properties to your cards, which are relevant to your project, use-case, etc. Custom fields are available on a per board level, but you can also share them between projects.
To create and manage Custom Fields→ go to the main Dashboard, where all your projects and boards are located and select:
- the dotted icon of the Project to open the menu -> select Manage boards
- the dotted icon of the corresponding Board -> select Board settings
Both navigations will open the "Project and Boards Settings" panel (img.1)-> select the Custom Fields tab. There you can find the predefined custom field in the system and you can create new ones.
1.1 How to select and add a predefined custom field?
There are three predefined fields in the Custom Field panel (img.1)
- Reporter: if you add this custom field to the board/cards, the system will automatically display in the designated field who has created the card.
- Created at: if you add this custom field to the board/cards, the system will automatically display in the designated field when the card was created (date/hour).
- Last modified: if you add this custom field to the board/cards, the system will automatically display in the designated field the last time when the card has been modified.
To assign any of the fields to your board, which will make the fields present on the cards -> click on the dotted icon of the corresponding field and use the Assigned Boards icon to open the Board Lists panel.
Select one or more boards from the list to make the custom field available on your cards located on the respective boards.
1.2 How to create and add your own custom field?
To create a new custom field -> click on the ADD NEW CUSTOM FIELD button (+) on the top of the Project and Boards Settings.
Fill in the custom field name in the text box (e.g. Price) and choose the data type (Text, Date, Number, Contributor, Link, Dropdown). Input a default value (this is optional*) and click on the checkmark button to create the field.(img.2)
* If you enter a default value it will be constant data for that field.
To be able to add this custom field to your cards, you need to assign it to a board first. Select one or more boards from the Boards list panel to add the custom field to.
Once you complete this action -> the custom field will be added to the board and will be also displayed in the Projects and Boards Settings Panel under the "Fields in Project" category.
The panel separates the custom and the predefined fields.
* Use the Share between projects (checkmark) if you want to make the custom field reusable for other projects within the account. Just don't forget it to assign it to the Boards belong the Projects.
* Use the ACTIONS button to: assign it to other boards, edit or delete the field.
2. How to Manage Custom Fields at a BOARD level?
As mentioned in the introduction of the document, you can create and add a custom field to individual boards. Use the settings icon of a board and select Board Settings to open the Project and Board Settings.
2.1 Add a default custom field
Once you have set up your account and you have created the custom fields for your teams and projects, you will be able to use the top right Custom fields tab or the Custom fields expandable menu at the bottom of the panel (img.3).
From the Choose field dropdown menu, you can select and add to the Board one of the predefined custom fields or any of the fields created/shared for the Project.
Just select the fields -> set a default value (optional); make it mandatory (optional) and add it to the board via the "Add to Board" button.
Note: The selected Board where it will be made available is marked in grey to the left side of the panel.
The dropdown menu has the Add new field option that will navigate you to the
The drop-down has the Add new field option that will navigate you to the Custom fields tab. -> ADD NEW CUSTOM FIELD (img.1) - repeat the steps described in p.1.
Important: When you add the selected custom fields to any of the Kanban boards, they appear as choices in the Custom field section of each task - click on Add Field -> select the custom field and it will appear on the card.
If the field is mandatory, it will be instantly displayed on the newly created card and no extra actions are required.