1. The Defenition of a Kanban Card
Тhe Kanban card and the Kanban board are the two main components of Kanbanize.
The Kanban card is a representation of a work item. It carries information about the task itself, e.g. who is responsible for the task (assignee); title and description of the task; how big the task is; what is the task priority, etc.
By moving cards on the Kanban board users indicate their work progress through the workflow.
2. The Kanban card properties
The default properties of the Kanban card are as follows:
1) Card ID: Every card in Kanbanize has a unique card ID which is like the serial number of the card. The card ID is the easiest way to refer to a card in the system.
2) Title: Use the title of the card to give a name of your task. The title should provide a short description of the task.
3) Assignee: The user who is working on the task. The assignee is visible not only by the name of the users but also by their avatar. Using avatars is the best way to visualize who is responsible for the tasks in the flow.
4) Color: Using colors is an easy and quick way to make a card stand out and/or to categorize and group your work.
5) Priority: The priority indicates how urgent a task is. There are 4 stages of priority in Kanbanize: Low, Average, High and Critical indicated by different colors.
6) Cycle Time: Indicates the time a card has spent on the board. From the Board settings, you can configure which columns to be included in the cycle time calculation, e.g, it is appropriate to exclude the Done column and calculate the time spent in the "Requested" and "In Progress" columns only.
7) Context Menu - it provides a shortcut to many functionalities in the Software.
The Kanban card has many additional properties, that may become visible on the initial card view if users decide to configure their Card settings.
To achieve that -> click on the Grid menu at the top right side of your board view and select Configure Card View. There you can switch on and off the card attributes to suit your needs and define the design of the card properties - icon or full text. Only the card ID, the Assignee and the Title of the card cannot be switched off.
2.2 This is а representation of all activated card attributes, which are available in the Kanbanize:
- Type: Use card types to categorize your tasks by using predefined categories. Types are added at the project level and are customizable to meet your requirements.
- Comments: Write comments on the card to keep important information or to communicate with your team members on the task. In the short view of the card you can see if there are any comments in the card and if there are any, you can open them directly by clicking on the icon.
- Links: You can create connections between cards using card links. There are three types of hierarchical relations – parent, child and relative. (Reference to article “Card Links”).
- Subtask: Subtasks are small action items which are part of a bigger task, like a checklist that needs to be completed in order for the task to be completed. You can see on the card the number of the subtasks and how many have been already completed.
- Tag: Using tags allows you to organize your cards and search easily for a card later.
- Size: You can use different values to indicate how big a task is, e.g. planned time to complete the task, monetary value (to track profit or costs) etc.
- External Link: Enter a link to additional information and to external Kanbanize source.
- Attachments: You can attach files in different formats from your computer or from a cloud storage.
- Custom fields: You can add your own card attributes by using custom fields. There are different values possible for a custom field: text, number, date, contributor or a dropdown menu.
- Deadline: Set a deadline for the task by using the integrated calendar. Keep in mind that in Kanban it is recommended to avoid working with deadlines, but rather to process cards as fast as possible to keep their cycle time as short as possible.
- Logged Time: Log time to keep track on how much time you have actually spent on a task.
3. Description of the Kanban card tabs
Apart from the components, the Kanban card has six main tabs: Details, Subtasks, Comments, History, Metrics and Links.
- Details: In this tab, you can give a description of the task in the dedicated field.
The Details tab gives you an access to all card properties and to the Position Control view of the card.
- Subtasks: In the second tab of the card you can create and visualize the subtasks of the card. The subtask is an element of completing a larger and more complex task.
The system allows you to assign the subtasks to different users in the account. Via the settings icon, you can edit or delete a subtask. Checkmark the subtask to mark it as completed.
- Comments: In this tab, you can add comments relevant to the task. In case that you have set up an email integration, you can even send and receive emails from/in the Comments tab. If you mention users in the comment section via the "@" symbol, they will receive an email or system notifications that will re-direct them to the card.
- History: In this tab, you can view the history log of the card - all activities or card changes that have happened. The following information is provided: event name, author, details, date.
- Metrics: In the Metrics tab you can get an overview of the lead time and the logged time for the card.
- Links: This tab gives you complete control of the links of each card that you open. You can create new links, monitor the status of existing ones in a Kanban Board/Table/Graph view, and even create new links to related cards.
4. Description of the Kanban Card Settings Menu
Click on the gear icon at the top right of the opened card to open the card settings menu. From here you have access to following functionalities:
Permalink – copies the unique url of the card.
Log time – this icon will open up a panel where to log in working hours on the card or a subtask level.
Locate - opens the board on which the card is located in a new browser tab and flags the card to make it visible. (This functionality is very useful when you have opened a card from the advanced search or from a linked card and you want to go to the board on which the card is located).
Block – allows you to block a card and make it immobile unless being unblocked.
Delete – allows you to delete a card from the board.
Follow up – allows you to set up a reminder and follow up on the card within 5,15 or 30 minutes / 1, 2 or 4 hours/ a date from the calendar. Upon deadline expiration, a reminder pops up right on your board and additionally the system sends you an email notification.
Revisions - Note: To enable card revisions you need to activate the "Card revisions" business rule.
Read more about what is a Kanban card.