1. What is the card size?
The card size is a generic metric and every team defines what to stand for its value.
It could be: planned time a given task would take, how “big” a task is (story points); man-hours, monetary values, etc.
Size is one of the default card fields.
Users with the relevant permissions on a board can configure it to display three different modes:
- No pattern (1)
- T-shirt size (2)
- Fibonacci number (3)
Check the examples below:
(1) No pattern - input any number.
(2) T-shirt size - card size is a drop-down list of T-shirt sizes like S, M, L, XL, etc.
Note: T-shirt sizes correspond to the following numbers:
'S' => 1
'M' => 2
'L' => 3
'XL' => 4
'XXL' => 5
'XXXL' => 6
(3) Fibonacci's number - card size is a drop-down list with the Fibonacci's numbers.
2. How to configure the card size for a board?
The card size is configured per board. You have to be an Account Owner or a Workspace Manager to set it up.
To configure it, please click the "Edit Workflow" icon at the top of each Board interface to turn on the board Edit Mode.
You will be able to control various settings from the left side of the board edit mode including Card size type. Select your size type and Save the board settings from the top right side of the window.
3. How to configure a dynamic card size (calculated card size)?
Calculated card size allows you to automatically populate values for the card size field with the help of multiple functions/formulas.
To do so, navigate to the Board policies menu (1) on the sidebar of your board and look for Field Formulas (2):
Selecting the pencil icon next to the Card size field would open a window for the Calculated size configuration. To add a dynamic size field/function, type the “@” symbol. The functions available when building a calculated size field are the following:
- AVERAGE - the formula calculates the average value from a set of values.
- CEILING – It rounds your value up to the nearest integer. If “value 1” is 1.2, it will round it up to the nearest integer, which is “2”.
- FLOOR – It rounds your value down to the nearest integer. In this case, if “value 1” is 1.2, it will round it down to the nearest integer which is “1”.
- IF_EMPTY – The formula will return the “fallback_value” if “value 1” is empty. If not - it will return “value 1”
- IF_ZERO – The formula will return the “fallback_value”, if “value 1” is zero. If not - it will return “value 1”
- LOG – The formula represents a logarithmic expression that returns the power to which “base” is raised to get “value 1”.
- MAX – It returns the maximum value from a given set of values.
- MIN – the formula returns the minimum value from a given set of values.
- POWER – It returns “value 1” raised to a given power (“base”).
- ROUND – It returns “value 1” rounded to a specific number of decimal places.
- CARD.CUSTOM_FIELD_NUMBER (field id)
- DATE_DIFF - This formula returns the difference between two dates, where the result is a number.
- Calculated card size is only configured on a board level by either an Account owner or a Workspace manager/user with "Edit workflow" privileges.
- Users won't be able to change the values of a calculated card size on a given card - any changes are done on a board level by a user with relevant role/privileges.
- If a T-shirt size type has been applied to a board, a dynamic card size formula would disregard it and the card size field would display a number.
- When editing a formula, a request for re-calculating the values would be sent. Processing of this request might take up to 30 minutes. After the process of re-calculation is completed, the values of the field formulas could be changed.