1. Workspace Templates - introduction
Via the Workspace Template feature, all Project Managers and Administrators will be able to select one or multiple Projects and Boards from their account and save them as a Templates. They can be re-used and applied to the same account or each external account associated with their email address registered in Kanbanize. This feature is very useful for users who have successfully created and adapted workflows and need a fast and easy transfer of their setups and structure.
Moreover, they can use one of the built-in templates in the panel that cover 6 different scenarios.
2. How to Create -> Save -> Apply Workspace Template
To manage your Workspace Templates, use the "Manage Workspace Templates" icon from the retractable menu on the bottom right corner of your Dashboard.
3. Overview of Manage Workspace Templates panel
The Manage Workspace Templates panel has three menus:
- My Templates
- Built-in Templates
- Shared with me
3.1 The Built-in Templates is the default view of the panel and it provides access to all built-in templates in the system covering six different scenarios.
You can manage each of the templates from their corresponding settings menu.
- the Apply as New Workspace option will instantly apply the Project including all of its boards to your account.
- with the Apply to Existing Project option, only boards from the template will be added to one of the existing projects. You have to select the existing project (receiver) from the supporting panel and consider the project settings.
- the View Structure option gives a description and an architectural overview of the selected template/scenario.
3.2 My templates menu allows you to create your own template - which means to select a project and boards from your account and be able to re-use them.
- > Select the (+) CREATE TEMPLATE icon to open the Manage Workspace Template panel (IMG. 1), where users will find a representation of their Projects - all of them are visualized through blue ribbons.
There are two types of settings:
- Mandatory settings - select one or multiple projects and boards to be saved as a workspace template.
- Optional settings - include the project-specific: custom fields, templates and types of cards.
- > Select the Project(s) that you want to be created as a Template -> just checkmark the corresponding box. Upon Project selection, the system will display a list of all boards that belong to that Project. Note: Use the Filter option to quickly find a specific board from the list of boards located on your Dashboard.
- > Select the Boards that you want to include in your Template -> just checkmark the corresponding boxes.
- > Users can choose which project settings to include in the template: Custom fields; Card templates; Card types.
- > If a user checkmark the "Include cards" option - all cards from the "Backlog", "Requested", "In progress", "Done" and "Temporary" archive sections will be added to the template.
NOTE: If you select "Include Cards", all card details will be included except for the card comments and assignees.
- > The dotted icon next to "Include cards" provides users with the option to:
- Include Card Links - all links to other cards and initiatives will be preserved. The only condition to have all linked cards present is to select all boards that hold the related cards.
- Include Initiatives - all cards (initiatives) in the portfolio lane will be included.
- Include Sub-tasks - all sub-tasks will bе preserved and included.
- > The "Include Business Rules" option allows users to preserve and include all Business rules configured for the selected boards in their template.
Note: Upon template transfer, the user has to enable all replicated Business rules manually from the Administration panel. To be easily recognizable each of the transferred policies contains the word [Workspace].
- > The Related Boards Settings - all configurations will be included for every board which is part of the template. If a Board from the Board list configuration is not included in the Workspace template - it will not appear as a Related board.
-> Once you configure your template -> click Next to proceed further. You should Create a Template name and give it a description (IMG.2).
-> In case that you want to share this template with other users in the current Kanbanize account, you can type their Kanbanize usernames in the "Share with other users" box.
Note: You can access your templates in every Kanbanize account, where you sign-in with the same registration email address.
-> Click on the "Save" icon and the system will notify you that you have created your Template successfully.
-> Go to My Templates section to see all of your personal templates that have been saved so far.
-> Click on the Template you would like to re-use and the system will prompt you to Apply the template as a "New Workspace" or to the "Existing Project". Moreover, the user gets a snapshot of the template configuration.
-> All Projects and Boards created/applied via the Workspace Templates feature will be made available on the main dashboard containing the word [Workspace] in their names.
Important: In case that some of the specific fields in the business rules are missing, the system gives a warning message. The user who has applied the template has to carefully review their setup (Administration panel - > Business Rules) and configure them in accordance with the use-case scenario. Rules with missing fields are marked with "[Not Completed]" in their title.
3.3 Shared with me - this menu will be active when a Workspace template is shared with you.