Importing Kanban cards in Kanbanize is the quickest way to set up your Kanban board without having to create and fill in each card manually.
Follow these steps to import cards to your board:
1. First, you will need to create a xls or xlsx file containing the attributes of your cards. The allowed fields for creating cards are as follow: 'title', 'description', 'priority', 'assignee', 'color', 'size', 'tags', 'deadline', 'ext link', 'external link', 'template', 'type', 'type name', 'column', 'column name', 'lane', 'lane name', 'comment', 'parent'.
- Only the field “title” is mandatory, all other fields are optional.
- If you want to import tasks as child cards of existing cards, your file should contain a field “parent” with the card IDs of the parent cards listed, e.g. 72, 114 etc.
- Allowed deadline date formats are: MM/DD/YYYY, DD-MM-YYYY, YYYY-MM-DD
- Custom fields can be imported, if they have been assigned to the board prior to the import. The column name in your spreadsheet needs to match the name of the Custom field you wish to import.
2. Open the Grid menu at the top right of your board -> select Import / Export.
3. Click on Browse… and choose the xls or xlsx file from your computer.
4. Once the file is uploaded, the system will validate the data for compatibility and the validation status will be displayed. If the card field is not recognized, the values will not be imported.
For example, in the screenshot below, there is a typing error in the name of the field Tags and the data is not recognized by the system.
4. If you need to edit the file, cancel the import by closing the import window. Edit the information in your file and import it again.
5. Click on Import -> click OK on the Import Notification Message and the cards will be created on your board. When the import is completed, you will receive an email with the import status.
If you have not defined a column for the import, the cards will be created in the column and swimlane set as default in your Personal Board Settings.
Update Cards when Importing
Using the import function in Kanbanize, you can not only import new cards, but also update already existing ones.
When you create the table, containing the attributes of the cards you want to update, you need to match the external link field of the cards in the xls or xlsx file for importing to the one of the existing cards you want to update. It does not necessarily need to be a link. For example, if you want to update a card with an empty external link field, type in any text (e.g. link1) and put the exact same content in the xlsx. table that you are importing.
Note: To update a card from the import, you need to make sure that the information in its external link field does not match any of the other existing cards.
Once you have selected the xlsx. file to import and the conditions for updating the cards are fulfilled, the system will ask you to confirm the update -> select Yes on the warning message.
In the list of the cards to be imported the ones that are going to update existing cards will be highlighted in orange -> Click on Import to update the cards.