1. How to custom the import Excel spreadsheet to Kanbanize?
Importing Kanban cards in Kanbanize is the quickest way to populate your Kanban board without having to create and fill in each card manually.
Follow these steps to import cards to your board:
1.1 Create an xls or xlsx file that needs to be properly formatted so that your data can be matched to the cards' fields in Kanbanize.
- in the spreadsheet, give descriptive names (column headers) to the columns matching the following card fields: 'title', 'description', 'priority', 'assignee', 'color', 'size', 'tags', 'deadline', 'ext link', 'external link', 'template', 'type', 'type name', 'column', 'column name', 'lane', 'lane name', 'comment', 'parent'.
- Only the field “title” is mandatory, all other fields are optional.
- If you want to import tasks as child cards of existing cards (Parent and/or an Initiative), your file should contain a column header named “parent” with the list of the Parent/Initiative IDs, e.g. 2357, 3234 etc.
Example: If you import Table 1 (see the image below), the system will create and link 4 child cards (named Test 1, Test 2, Test 3, Test 4) to the Parent or Initiative "2756" and 1 child card (Test 5) to the Parent or Initiative 3281.
Note: Cards 2756 and 3281 are existing cards on the Board.
- The allowed Deadline date formats are as follows: MM/DD/YYYY, DD-MM-YYYY, YYYY-MM-DD
- Custom fields can be imported, if they have been assigned to the board prior to the import. The column headers in your spreadsheet need to match the name of the Custom field you wish to import.
Example: The column headers in Table 2: Sign off by; Version; Severity and Customer are custom fields that have been created and added to the board prior to the import.
2. How to import an Excel file to Kanbanize?
2.1. Open the Grid menu at the top right side of your board interface -> select Import / Export icon at the bottom left corner.
2.2 Click on "Browse…" and choose the xls or xlsx file from your computer. You can check the sample files below - > "See Sample files".
2.3. Once the file is uploaded, the system will validate your data for compatibility and the validation status will be displayed. If a card field is not recognized, the values will not be imported.
For example: in the screenshot below (Image 1), there is a typing mistake in the title of the column "Tags" and the data is not recognized by the system.
2.4. If you need to edit the file, cancel the import by closing the import window. Edit the information in your file and import it again.
2.5 If all columns are recognized as card fields -> select Import to get a System Notification message and click OK. Your import has started and you should see the cards appearing on your board. When the import is completed, you will receive an email with the import status.
Note: If you have not defined a column for the import, the cards will be created in the column and swimlane set as default in your Personal Board Settings.
3. How to update cards via Excel import?
Using the import function in Kanbanize, you can not only import new cards but also update already existing ones.
IMPORTANT: If you want to successfully update your existing cards, when you format the Excel column headers to match the cards fields you want to update -> you have to create a column header named: "External link" where the cells' input must match the "External link" field value of the cards you want to update.
The "Еxternal link" column is used as a unique identifier, so the import would know which cards to update.
Example: If you import the Excel file as per the example in Image 2 a card with "External link" value: LS ID 752 will be updated. It will get а new Assignee (Peter) and а new Deadline (12/10/2017).
Note: To update a card via the import function, first you need to make sure that the value in its "External link" field is unique.
Once you have uploaded the xls. or xlsx. file for import and all the requirements are fulfilled, the system will ask you to confirm the update -> select Yes to confirm your action.
The system will display all cards from the import file -> the ones that match the External link value of the existing cards in the system will trigger an update and respectively are marked as "Update" (highlighted in orange) -> Click on the "Import" icon at the top right corner of the panel to update the cards.
4. How to update/move cards position on the board when Import?
In order to move cards, the imported Excel column names should match the respective field names of the cards that you want to move in Kanbanize. For example:
- Lane Name could be mapped to your legacy layer or type column
- Column Name could be mapped to the Status or Phase column
Important: The "Еxternal link" column is used as a unique identifier, so the import would know which cards to move. If the External Link values in Excel do not match the external link values in the existing Cards, new cards will be created. Usually, it is the unique legacy system ID number that is mapped to the External Link field in Kanbanize.
All movements are logged into the history and metrics tabs of the cards.
So, in case that there are regular updates (weekly or daily) from the legacy system via the Excel Import, the users can take the advantage of the Analytics modules in Kanbanize and inspect their flows.