Table of Contents:
1. What are widgets?
Widgets provide users with summarized information and handy shortcuts, directly in your custom Dashboards. Widgets could be an excellent info point into key metrics and critical business information.
In Kanbanize, there are two types of widgets: predefined widgets and custom ones.
You create custom widgets using the Advanced Search functionality to generate a flexible live table, pie chart, or bar graph widgets of filtered data. Using the Advanced Search, you can add almost any relevant data you would like to monitor. In order to create your own custom widget, generate a filter, and define your report properties using the Refine Search Criteria option. You can apply as many filters as you require in order to extract the precise data you would like to keep an eye on.
All your widgets live in custom dashboards, you create inside Kanbanize.
A well-designed dashboard will keep all vital information on one screen to help you make actionable decisions. Note that each Dashboard can contain a maximum of 10 widgets.
2. How to create and pin a custom widget to your dashboard?
Let's use a practical example and set up a custom widget that shows all current work items, on a board of your choice, that have been "In Progress" for more than 5 days.
Follow the steps to create the widget:
STEP 1: Оpen the Advanced Search feature (the magnifying glass) located at the top blue bar of your account interface. Using the advanced search, you can filter and configure your account data to get specific information that concerns you, your team, or your project.
STEP 2: Click the Refine search criteria link to open a new panel and select the criteria.
To get the desired results, you select the following properties “Board”, “Cycle Time” and “Section”.
Set the Time unit to be "Days" and then click Add.
STEP 3: Configure your report.
The criteria you selected instantly appears on the left side of the "Advanced Search" panel.
(1) Use the dropdown and select the “Board” of your choice.
(2) Use the dropdown and set up a “Cycle Time” that is greater than 5 days
(3) Use the dropdown and select the "In Progress" section.
Click the "Search" button to run your report.
The system generates all the results that match your search criteria in a table format i.e. all cards from the selected board that have been "in progress" for more than 5 days.
(1) You have the flexibility in configuring what columns of information you want in your results.
Use the "Configure Results" link at the top right corner to open the "Configure results" panel. Select any of the criteria you wish to become available as columns in the table with the results. If you want to remove any column, deselect the respective criteria, and apply the changes.
(2) Using the visualization options, you can choose to display the data from your search in a bar graph or as a pie chart and slice it by certain criteria. You can even display your results in a Kanban view mode.
Note: The example above might appear best in a table visualization when added to your custom Dashboard. However, another search generating all the cards in a board by their assignees, for example, might be visualized better as a dynamic pie chart on your widget dashboard.
STEP 4: To save the filter you created as a custom widget, select the "Pin to Dashboard" icon at the bottom right side of the panel.
* Open the image in a new tab to get a closer view.
STEP 5: In order to pin this widget to your custom dashboard, you need to g
You can pin the same widget into multiple Dashboards. Open any of your custom Dashboards and select "Add Widget" to open a dedicated panel where all predefined and custom widgets get stored.
Once you open the panel you can either scroll down to find your custom widget or use the filter to enter the widget's name at the top of the panel.
Each dashboard can display a combination of:
- Workspaces - add workspaces, which are relevant to the Dashboard context.
- Widgets - add widgets including Kanbanize Analytics charts, custom search reports, and Power BI reports to track critical business health metrics.
- Workspaces and widgets - combine Workspaces and Widgets in a logical group (e.g. a project workspace with the respective metrics).
Your dashboards can be shared with individual users or teams inside the account. The data visualized in the widgets depends on the permissions of each user in the system. That means that some users may see different data inside the widgets than others. To learn more about this capability, please check out the dedicated article.
3. How to manage your custom widget settings?
Each widget (predefined, custom, shared) has a settings menu (the three dots icon), from which you can further custom it and complete the following actions:
- Settings: You have tremendous flexibility in configuring what data will be displayed by your widget.
- Selected Boards this option becomes available for some of the analytics widgets and allows you to change the board for which you track metrics, using a widget.
- Export: export the widget data in an Excel spreadsheet.
- Rename: change the name of the Widget.
- Switch to Half-View: reduce the size of the widget's panel to make space for more widgets on your dashboard (Switch to Half-View). Switch back to Full-View to expand the widget's panel.
- Remove: remove the widget from your custom dashboard.
To learn more about the predefined widgets in your account, please check the dedicated article.