1. What is a process efficiency widget?
The Process Efficiency widget allows you to keep an eye on how efficient your process is.
This widget calculates the ratio between the actual value-adding time and the entire lead time required to complete your task in order to produce a metric for measuring the efficiency of your processes in percentage.
The Lead time covers the process from the initial phase until delivery and it includes both value-adding time and non-value adding time activities.
1. The value-adding time is the time your cards spend in the activity columns.
All columns where cards are being worked on should be marked as ACTIVITY, e.g. "Coding", "Reviewing" are activity columns.
2. All columns where cards are waiting and no action is performed should be marked as QUEUE columns - e.g. "Ready for Review" is a queue column.
For example, when developing a new feature, a programmer needs 10 days to move a card through the process from the "requested" column to the "done" column, during which the card spends six of the ten days in columns where the activity takes place and four of those ten days in queues.
When you calculate the ratio between value adding and lead time in the scenario described above [(6/10)x100] your resulting percentage will represent the efficiency of the process of completing the given task – in this case, 60%.
2. How to add a process efficiency widget?
The process Efficiency Widget is a predefined widget.
2.1 Select the plus icon on the bottom right side of your Dashboard to open the Retractable menu
-> select "Add Widget" -> Process Efficiency Widget.
2.2 The Process Efficiency widget operates per Board. When you select the Process Efficiency Widget -> a Board Minimap opens up-> from the drop-down list select the board for which you wish to create the Efficiency widget -> select one, several or all swimlanes of the board -> click on Save. The system will automatically calculate the efficiency of the specified flow.
Note: to add an extra Efficiency widgets for a different board - > use the settings icon on the top right side of the Process Efficiency Widgets panel - select Add widget.
3. How to configure your process efficiency widget?
You can customize the widget by adding advanced filters or configuring the parameters:
Click on the settings menu at the top right side of the widget -> select Settings.
You can set the following configurations:
1. Using the advanced filters you can monitor the data for a particular card, assignee, priority, color, size, tag, type, reporter or the card creation date parameter. The system allows you to include all of your custom fields in the filter.
Select your filter criteria (for example: Priority) -> click on Add.
2. Change the board/swimlane of the widget: Click on the link to choose a board and/or swimlane from the board minimap.
3. Set the period of time for which the data should be collected: Click on the drop-down menu to define the period of time (e.g. This month, Last month, etc.).
4. Exclude the weekends from the calculation by activating the checkbox.
5. Exclude values that "lie outside" (are much smaller or larger than most of the other values in a set of data using the interquartile range (IQR) method by activating the checkbox.
6. Calculate efficiency only for a certain period of the day: Activate the checkbox and use the drop-down to select your desired time range.
Depending on the selected time filter, the widget will show you the improvement or decline in the efficiency compared to past period.
From the Widget's menu you can also do the following:
Export: Select this option to export the information to Excel.
Rename: Select Rename to change the name of the widget.
Switch to Half-View: Reduce the size of the widget to make a place for more widgets on your dashboard by clicking on Switch to Half-View. Click on Switch to Full-View to expand the widget again.
Remove: delete the Widget to no longer appear on your Dashboard.
IMPORTANT: The measurements is based on your cycle time configuration of the board, to see and change that have a look at this article.
4. How to refresh your widget?
Hover over the refresh icon and the date and time of the last widget update will be displayed.
The information in the widget is refreshed automatically once a day. Click on the refresh icon to refresh the widget manually.
The Process Efficiency Widgets panel is designed to serve as a motherboard for mini widgets showing the efficiency of different parts of your work process.