1. How to generate reports via the Advanced Search panel in Kanbanize?
The Advanced Search panel in Kanbanize is a very powerful tool for refining and configuring system data to generate different types of reports.
The feature allows quick keyword searches (by card ID, assignee, title, description, or a tag). Just enter the value in the Search field and you will get the matching results from your account.
However, the results we are searching for is not always a single type of entry. To create more sophisticated reports and get specific information from your account, you need to narrow down your search and configure the data you need. In many cases, the right information is a combination of tasks that match a pattern
2. How to create a report and filter your account data?
Click on the magnifying glass located on the Board header to open the Advanced Search panel.
The default panel view displays results for the board on which you have performed the search (img.1). Click the Search button (1) to run the report and you will get all the cards from your board in a table view for better visual perception.
(2) Using the visualization options, you can choose to display the data from your search in a bar graph or as a pie chart and slice it by certain criteria. You can even display your results in a Kanban view mode using the last option.
(3) You can manage your search stream via the Options to the bottom left corner of the panel. Checkmark any of the following options to:
- Include archived cards - allow the search to show cards that have been archived.
- Include subtasks – search in the title of the subtasks and show the matching ones in the result table.
- Separate custom fields – in case you have one custom field assigned to multiple boards, show the values in separate columns for each of the boards.
- Exclude search criteria from the results - by default, the criteria that you search by will be included in the results table. Select this option to disable this behavior.
3. How to refine your search?
The advanced functionality of the panel enables you to refine the account data in order to narrow down your search (img.2).
As a first step, click on the Refine search criteria link (1) to open the panel (2) that displays all properties in your account: both Regular and Custom fields.
Аll the criteria in the Advanced search panel are sorted in alphabetical order. Use the filter to easily find the pill you are searching for and filter out the rest.
Note: You can select the following units for the time - related fields: Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Example: Let's assume that you want to get a report for all cards in the Board, which are assigned to a specific user. To narrow down your search, select the pills Board and Assignee and click on Add.
The pills you select will be instantly added to the left side of the panel (img.3).
Define the Board name as well as the username from the drop-down menu (1) and click on Search to run the report (2). The system will filter out the information and will generate a report with all cards assigned to this user for the selected board.
Note 1: In case you want to get cards for more than one Assignee → select “or” and define the second username from the dropdown list. Run the report via the Search button.
The system allows you to sort out cards by clicking on the title of any of the card properties.
For example: sorting out cards IDs would mean that chronologically the newest cards should be at the top.
4. How to configure your search results?
To configure your search result i.e. to show/hide properties, which are relevant to your report → select the "Configure results" (1) button at the upper right side of the panel (img.4).
From the Configure results panel (2), you can select the data you need to extend information in your report. You can also deselect fields, which you do not want to be present.
For example: (see, img.5) The pills numbered from 1 to 6 are the default properties visible in the report, but note that the system allows you to deselect them or/and change their order.
The other three parameters – Cycle time (7), Reporter (9) and Last Modified (8) are selected to extend the initial report. They are numbered in the sequence they will appear on the original report. Every additional tab is represented by a new column in the report table.
Note: You can select the following units for the time-related fields: Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Click on Apply changes to see these parameters reflected in the report.
5. How to save and share the advanced search filter?
Once you group together the information you need and run a report, you can Save it in order to generate the same report with a single click (load it) next time.
To save and share (optional) your filter (Img.6):
Use the Save icon at the bottom of the panel (1). Then, type the name of your report (2) and Save the filter.
All saved filters are stored in the system. Use the Load option (5) and you can easily re-open the updated version just by clicking on the report name.
You have two sharing options, which are not mandatory:
(3) You can share the filter with internal users in your account so that they can start using it, without configuring the data you want them focusing on.
To share your filter with internal users, select their usernames, from the dropdown list.
Note: Еvery time you share a filter with a user, they receive an email notification.
All shared filters become available in the selected users' Load panels under the Advanced search, where all saved filters get stored.
(4) You can share your filter as public. If you select the "Share this filter as public" option and click on Save filter, you will get a unique URL link of your filter, which you can share with both registered users and people that are not registered in Kanbanize.
6. Other feature capabilities
There is an alternative way to create a unique link to your customized report.
To create a link and make it interactive, you can use the “Share” link (1) at the bottom of the panel. To share the link, you first have to Save the filter and give it a name (img.7)
(2) The Advanced Search Panel allows you to pin your Filter as a widget directly on your dashboard and have а quick access to important information at the entry point of your account.
Click on the "Pin to Dashboard" icon -> then Save and pin your Filter.
(3) You can export your data in an excel file where the outcome fields are aligned to match your excel columns. Use the "Download" icon at the bottom right corner and save the link to get your data in an Excel file.