How to generate reports via the Advanced Search panel?
The Advanced Search panel in Kanbanize is a very good way to generate different type of reports based on your selection of tags in order to narrow down your search.
To open the Advanced Search, use the Magnifying glass on the upper right side of your board interface.
This opens a new panel that enables you to refine your search criteria and to configure your results as per the information you need.
The panel also allows you to quickly search for a card - type a keyword or a card ID in the Advanced Search field (the magnifying glass) on the top right side of your screen -> click on Search or press the Enter key and the system will open a panel with the result.
Refine your Search
Use the Refine Search button to open the Refine search criteria panel that contains all regular and custom fields that you can select in order to filter your search data.
The Refine search criteria panel contains:
1. Regular fields - which could be divided into several groups:
- Card’s properties: Card ID, Title, Description, Assignee, Deadline, Priority, Color, Size, Tags, Extlink, Type, Watched, Attachments, Comments, Links, Cycle time, Created at, Reporter
- Project and Board tabs– Project, Board, Section, Column, Lane
- Status- First Date Moved to, Last Date Moved to, First Blocked Date, Last Blocked Date, Subtask status, Times Moved to, Worklog Update Date, Total Subtasks Count, Finished Subtasks Count, Unfinished Subtasks Count, Subtask Progress, Child Cards Progress, Position in Cell, parent Card, Child Cards, Relative Cards.
- Others - Blocked state, Block time, Block Count, Block reason.
You can select the following units for the time - related fields: Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds
2. Custom Fields – you can filter and configure your search, based on the custom fields that you have created and added to the corresponding boards in your projects.
Example: Let's assume that you want to get all cards that are assigned to a user “X” -> Select the tab: Assignee and click on Add.
On the left side of the panel, you can filter your search. Define the assignee "X" from the dropdown menu and click on Search. The system will generate a report with all cards assigned to this user. In case that you want to get cards for more than one users → select “or” and add the second name "Y" from the dropdown list.
Click on Search and the system will generate a report with all cards that belong to the users: “X” and “Y”.
The Report contains the following default properties for every card: Card ID, Title, Assignee, Deadline, Priority, Color, Column name. Each property is represented by a column.
Note: If a search outcome leads to showing too many cards, sort them out by clicking on the title of any of the fields. For example: sorting the cards IDs would mean that chronologically the newest tasks should be at the top.
Configure your results
To configure your report, i.e. to add/remove properties, which are relevant to your particular search → select Configure results at the upper right side of the panel.
This opens up the properties’ panel, where you can select what data to get out of the system and extend the information in the table. You can also deselect fields, which you do not want to be present.
Example: (see the image below) The tabs numbered from 1 to 6 are defaulted, but the system allows you to deselect them or/and change their order.
The other three parameters – Cycle time (7), Reporter (8) and Last Modified (9) are selected to extend the initial report. They are numbered in the sequence they will appear on the extended report. Every additional tab is represented by a new column in the table.
Click on Apply changes to see these parameters reflected in the report.
Each selected tab will be reflected in the report as a new column:
Using the visualization options( the four buttons), you can choose to present the data from your search in a bar graph or as a pie chart and slice the data by a certain criteria. You can even display your results in a Kanban view mode - this is the last option. With the help of the Kanban view mode, you can easily get an idea about the progress of a project and the distribution of your work items in the three main Kanban sections: Requested, In Progress, Done.
Now, go to the bottom left corner and use the Options button to configure your search stream.
The following options are available:
- Include Archived cards - allow the search to show cards that have been archived.
- Include subtasks – search in the title of the subtasks and show the matching ones in the result table.
- Separate custom fields – in case you have one custom field assigned to multiple boards, show the values in separate columns for each of the boards.
- Exclude search criteria from the results - by default, the criteria that you search by will be included in the results table. Select this option to disable this behavior.
Save Advanced Search Filter
Once you group together the information you need and generate a report, the system allows you to Save it, so you can generate it easily and faster next time. All saved filters are kept in the system (Load - Advanced search panel) and you can easily open them by selecting the name of the report.
When the report is generated ->click on Save at the left bottom of your window to open the Save Filter panel.
Use the Filter name text box to name your filter in order to easily recognize it (you can have more than one saved filter). Input your filter description (this is optional).
The panel allows you to share this filter as a public one – tick it off, in case you want to make the results of your public filter available to everyone, including people who don’t have an account in Kanbanize.
When you Save the filter -> you will get a unique link, which you can share.
All Saved filters are stored in the system. To see and reactivate them, click on Load at the bottom left corner of the panel.
There is an alternative way to create a unique link to your customized report.
To create a link and make it interactive, please click on the “Share” button. Note that in order to be able to share the link, you first must Save the filter and give it a name.
The Advanced Search Panel allows you to pin your Filter as a widget directly on your dashboard and have it at the entry point of your account. Click on the Pin icon to open the Save and pin widget panel. Note: In order to pin the Filter as a widget, you need to save it first.
Export your Search
You can export your data in an excel file where the outcome fields are aligned to match your excel columns.