This Busines rule will automatically move a parent card to a specified column/lane when any of its children cards is moved to a predefined set of columns/swimlanes.
A typical example would be to move a parent card to "In Progress" when any of its children are moved to "In Progress".
How to set up the "Child Card is Moved" rule?
Only users with Administrative privileges can create business rules.
To configure the business rule, please go to the Administration panel at the top right side of your screen -> open the Business rule tab -> select the "Child Card is Moved" rule option.
Note: In case that there is a set of defined rules to your account -> use the Add new rule button at the upper right side of the panel.
The "Child Card is moved" configuration panel has the following fields and properties (img.1):
(1) Name - give a name of the rule to distinguish it.
(2) Description - provide a description of the rule behavior in the system.
Note: when a business rule is created, it will get a rule ID and will be made available in the Business rule panel under name and description.
(3) Share with: this option allows you to share the rule with other users in the system so that they can edit/disable/enable the rule.
Every business rules have three main control settings: When; And; Then.
It is a sort of "point-and-click" programming language with which you can automate any process. The way it works is based on the programming conditional statement "if this then that".
To save/enable a rule click on the green checkmark at the top right corner of the configuration panel.
(4) WHEN: "Child card is moved" is the event that will trigger an action.
(5) AND - define the filters and select the conditions under which the actions should be triggered.
- The "Position is/is not" filter is а mandatory field for this rule.
Select a board from the dropdown list and from the minimap board select the column/cell (for example: In progress) where the child card is to be moved.
Note: You can use "or" to add extra boards and optimize the scope of the rule. Use the minus sign to remove a board.
- Use "Add new property" to further configure the automation. Select a regular or custom field from the panel (for example Tag is: set it up).
(6) THEN - select add new action to open a board minimap. Define the board and specify the column/lane (for example: In progress) where the parent card will be moved. You can select a cell or an entire column by clicking on the column's name from the board minimap.
As a result, every time when a child card on Board X is moved to In progress -> the parent card on Board Y will be automatically moved to In progress.
Please, read more about parent/child links and how to create them.