The Portfolio lane is an additional swimlane on your board, where you can visualize your initiatives and track their progress. An initiative is a bigger task or a project which you need to break down into smaller tasks in order to complete. An initiative could be a Project/Feature/Epic story, etc.
The small tasks would be the deliverables linked to the initiative as child cards. They are located on the Team Board and executed by the Team.
To activate the Portfolio Lane on your board -> click on the Show Portfolio Lane icon at the upper side of your board interface (click on Hide Portfolio Lane to collapse it again).
The Portfolio Lane consists of the three main columns "Requested", "In Progress" and "Done". You cannot edit the structure of the Portfolio Lane by adding additional columns or swimlanes, just like you edit the workflow of the Team Board.
Create an Initiative
There are two ways to create an initiative in the Portfolio Lane:
1. Use the + New Initiative button at the top right of your board. The initiative will open as an empty Kanban card where you can modify the card properties like title, description, deadline etc. Click on Update card -> the initiative will be created in the "Requested" column of the Portfolio Lane.
2. Click on an existing card on your Team Board ->drag & drop it into the Portfolio Lane. The initiative will open as a card -> modify the card properties if needed -> click on Add card to create the initiative. The existing card you have used to create the initiative will be automatically linked as a child card and positioned back in its previous column.
Create Work Breakdown
There are two ways to create a work breakdown:
1. Drag and Drop the Initiative Card to a desired position on the Team Board. A child card will open -> define its properties -> click on Add card. You can add as many cards as needed to outline the initiative.
2. Drag and Drop an existing card from the Team Board and attach it to the Initiative in the Portfolio swimlane.
When you move a child card to the "In Progress" column in the Team Board, the Initiative card will automatically move to "In Progress" in the Portfolio Lane. Each Initiative has a progress indicator that shows the percentage of the completed cards. When all child cards are moved to "Done" on the Team Board, the Initiative progress indicator will become 100% and the Initiative card will move to "Done" in the Portfolio Lane as well.
In case that a child card is blocked, the Initiative card will be blocked too.
Each child card is represented by a colored rectangle on the Initiative card. Every rectangle holds details for the child card (on hover). The color stands for the current card position in the Team board workflow:
- if the rectangle is Blue, the child card is "In Requested" column
- if the rectangle is Orange, the child card is "In progress" column
- if the rectangle is green, the child card is in "Done" column
The Cycle time of the Initiative and its deadline (if set) are visible too.
Click on the settings icon to view the details of the Initiative card or to delete it.
Convert an Initiative into a card
If at some point, you decide that your task is not big enough to be an Initiative, you can convert it to a card on the Team Board, preserving all linked child cards -> Press the Ctrl. key and drag and drop the initiative to your Team Board.
To make the linked card visible -> go to Board setting (upper right corner of your board interface)-> select Configure Card View-> Show links (one per row).
To archive completed initiatives and keep your Portfolio Lane from getting cluttered-> click on the Archive initiatives icon in the top right corner of your board -> select the initiatives you wish to archive. You can also create an archive version by clicking on the Create version link -> type the name for the version. This is optional, but it will allow you to search easily for archived initiatives -> Click on Archive Cards.
To search for archived initiatives or to unarchive an initiative -> click on the Show archived initiatives (the magnifying glass) icon on the top right side of your screen -> search in the Permanent archive by setting a date range or Browse the archive versions -> click on Unarchive Card to the right of the initiative you wish to restore and it will be moved back in the "Done" column of your Portfolio swimlane.
Read more about what is Portfolio Kanban.