Table of contents:
This article focuses on the Throughput widget and how to configure it. To better understand widgets in Kanbanize, we recommend reading our guides on how to add a predefined widget and setting up custom widgets.
Introduction to the Throughput Widget
The Throughput widget is one of the management dashboards and offers an interactive way to track how much work you have completed for a certain period of time. It is the natural extension of the Throughput report and it is designed to provide advanced filtering options to help you visualize your throughput data.
The data is organized in groups visualized as columns that let you stack additional filters and settings.
There is a horizontal and vertical zoom-in you can use if you want to get a closer look at a section of the results. Just drag the mouse over the section you want to zoom in. Click on “Reset zoom” to return to the normal view.
Note: You need to be a Dashboard Manager to be able to add this widget to a dashboard page.
How to Set up the Throughput Widget in Your Dashboard
You can access the Throughput widget from the “Add Widgets” button on every dashboard.
Select the Throughput widget from the Management dashboards category. The system will then prompt you to configure the dashboard from the Widget settings.
The Throughput widget settings have six main sections:
- Group by
- Group by configuration
- Stack by
- Y axis data
- Period (1) — select the date range for your throughput data.
- Filter (2) — filter results based on Board, Lane, Workflow, and/or Workspace.
- Group by (3) and Group by configuration (4) — choose which element to be displayed on the X axis. It can be a period of time (Day, Week, Month), or a card field (e.g. Owner, type, priority, custom field).
- Stack by (5) — you can split each column into sub-sections (e.g. by color, reporter, type). If you pick “None” from the dropdown, all columns in your results will be the same color, and the legend below will show “Overall throughput.”
- Y axis data (6) — choose whether to display Card count or Card size on the Y axis.
- If you have selected a custom field in the settings for “group by” or “stack by” that is not available or has no value in a card, this card will be grouped or stacked with a “N/A” value.
- If you have selected a "group by" or “stack by” setting where part of the configured data is unavailable to the user creating the widget, it will be visualized in a separate “No permission” column.
- If you have selected to group or stack data by “reporter,” and you are not an Account Owner or a Workspace Manager, the group or stack will be visualized with a “No permission” label.
- If you choose the “Card size” option for the Y axis and a card doesn't have a pre-set size, the system will automatically assign it a size of 1.
For example, you can configure your Throughput widget to show your monthly throughput and group data by owner and card type. This is what it would look like:
How to Refresh and Edit the Widget
You can refresh the Throughput widget from the three-dot menu in the upper right corner. Click on “Settings” from the same dropdown menu if you want to edit the widget.
Alternatively, you can also refresh your data from the Dashboard settings. From the dashboard's three-dot menu, select Refresh widgets and the system will automatically refresh all widgets on that dashboard.