Note: if you don't see the three-plus buttons when hovering on the top cells (Backlog/Requested/In Progress/Done), means you are running on version 5.17 that is maintenance mode only.
To edit your board, please refer to the following article.
Please, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an upgrade to Kanbanize Version 6.0.
1. The New Workflow Designer
The new workflow designer (in Kanbanize Version 6.0 and higher), helps users to fully customize their board workflow horizontally and vertically by merging columns and lanes to the specific needs of each team.
1.1. Activate the editing workflow layout via the "pencil edit icon" at the top left side of your board interface.
1.2. The system has the notion of 3 areas (Requested, In progress and Done), but the columns bellow these areas could be named as best fit for your workflow process. Use the Gear Button to change modify the column name and details.
1.3 Hovering on the top cells (Backlog/Requested/In Progress/Done), the three-plus buttons appears to the left, right and bottom of the box (Image 1). You can create multiple complex column structures within your lane that allow you to customize any board to any process.
You can divide cells into sub-column structures for even more refined visualization.
1.3 To create a new swimlane- > hover on the New swimlane on the left part of the screen to add different lanes. There is no limit for the number of swimlanes you can add.
1.4 You can merge cells across lanes/columns to fuse work process stages and classes of work. Click on the merge icon and use the rectangle tool to draw out the cells you want to merge/unmerge in the section. Use the corner cursor to drag diagonally across nearby columns and lanes. Use the side arrow in order to merge vertically aligned cells.
Use the downward arrow to merge cells horizontally. Arrows highlighted in grey indicates that merging is blocked in the respective direction.
1.5 When you merge two adjacent columns, the system prompts you to select a primary column, which will reflect the state of the cards in the merged cells in terms of board positioning.
Select the primary column from the dropdown list and take into consideration that the WIP limit that is set for the primary column will dominate.
1.6 Each cell in the board has a cell limit that is set up by the account PM/Administrator.
Cell limit is the total number of cards allowed in the cell. Whether the limit can be exceeded or not is controlled by the board setting "Allow exceeding the limits", which is now available on the top side of the board layout.
There are a few ways to set up a cell limit:
- use the "Cell Properties" panel that automatically appears when merging cells and input the limit for the merged cells.
- click on the "limit" icon at the top of each cell to turns it into an editable text box and input the number.
- use the gear icon that appears when you click on the cell itself and fill in the number in the cell properties panel
1.7 You can only merge columns included in a given section (Backlog section only, Requested section only; In Progress section only, Done section only;). You cannot merge columns across different sections.
Note: The system provides the option to transfer a column to different section using the drag & drop button.(Image 1)
1.8 You can name columns anything you like just click on the title and it instantly turns into an editable text box. You can easily set up limit and the number of cards per row.
- use the pallet icon to change the background color of the column
- use the gear icon to edit column details *
* Important: use the gear icon to define if the column is an Active column or a Queue column.
- Active column: All columns where cards are being worked on should be marked as ACTIVITY. E.g. "Development" is an activity column; "Verification" is an activity column.
- Queue column: All columns where cards are waiting to be processed should be marked as QUEUE. E.g. "Ready for Verification" is a queue column; "To be Approved" is a queue column. All columns defined as "queue" are marked yellow at the upper right corner. Hovering over it produces a tooltip reminding the team members that cards should not stay too long in this column i.e. must be processed faster to the next stage in order to decrease the non-value adding time of delivering an item
- use the trash icon to delete the column
Don't forget to save your changes via the respective button located at the upper right corner of the board.
2. The New "Еdit Workflow" capabilities
Upon activation of the "Edit Workflow" board mode:
- users with relevant permissions will be able to control various board settings:
- rename boards (1)
- change card sizes (T-shirt sizes; Fibonacci sequence; No pattern) (2)
- control the "Work in Progress limit" system behavior: allow or deny exceeding the limits (3)
- users with relevant permissions will be able to Disable either the Initiatives Workflow lane or the Cards Workflow lane (4)
- users with relevant permissions will be able to make the Initiatives Workflow lane collapsible/non-collapsible (5).
- Rename the labels of INITIATIVES WORKFLOW and CARDS WORKFLOW for better board association with the team and/or the use-case scenario.
- Save or Discard edits via the respective buttons (6)
- Undo or Redo any of the latest actions you have performed using the respective dropdown lists (7). The keyboard shortcuts are: CTRL + Z (undo) and CTRL +Y (redo).