1. The Internal ID of cards and initiatives
2. The Custom ID of cards and Initiatives
3. How to customize your ID?
1. The Internal ID of cards and Initiatives
Every card and Initiative in Kanbanize has a unique card ID (internal ID) which is like the serial number of the item. The ID is the easiest way to refer to a card in the system.
The internal card IDs are consecutive numbers that go up when new items get created in Kanbanize.
- Cards Internal ID is displayed at the top left side of the card.
- Initiatives Internal ID - open the initiative to see the ID at the top left side.
2. The Custom ID of items (cards & initiatives)
You can replace the internal card ID with a custom ID number to match your company numeral system. The unique card identifier facilitates simultaneous work with external systems.
Well-designed IDs can help you to sort and group cards and Initiatives for reports as well as to easily identify the collection of items' properties across systems.
The Custom Card ID filed is available as an option in the Card fields (see img.1). Open a card or Initiative and select the plus icon next to Card Fields. Click on the Custom Card ID option (1) to make the field available on the item (2) and fill in the custom ID number.
Update the item (3) and the value you entered will replace the internal card ID, which is visible at the top left corner of the card or the Initiative.
Note: The internal card ID will be preserved in the system. If you remove the Custom ID for some reason, the system will automatically replace it with the internal ID to ensure proper task tracking and reporting in Kanbanize.
Both the Custom Card ID and the Internal Card ID are available properties in the following product functionalities:
- Advanced Search Panel
- Business Rules
Note: In AND conditions in the Business rules configuration panel, we can find these 3 filters: Card ID, Custom Card ID & Internal Card ID.
In general, the dependence/relation among them is that Card ID combines Custom Card ID & Internal Card ID. If a user wants to set a Business rule which triggers regardless of the card's ID type, they will set the condition to the Card ID.
* Card ID combines Custom Card ID & Internal Card ID
** Custom Card ID - refers to the Custom ID only and the system identifies both number and special symbols.
*** Internal ID -refers to the default ID only.
Web Service Invoke
3. How to Customize your Cards ID
A set of Custom Card ID configuration options (1, 2) are accessible at each board level.
Users with the relevant permissions can access them via the Edit Workflow button at the top of each board interface.
From the Custom card ID control, you can define if the custom ID you enter is a:
- unique value (1) - the system does not allow you to enter a custom ID that already exists.
If you duplicate the IDs, you will get an Error message, which informs you to use a different value.
- repeating value (2) - you can use the same custom Card ID in multiple cards, without any system restrictions. This supports the clustering of items based on their classifications.
By default, the Custom ID configuration option is set for repeating values.