A step-by-step guideline
This scenario setup aims to help users to connect their Slack channel with the Kanbanize workflow via the business rules.
As a result, all users will be able to get Slack notifications about important actions in Kanbanize, which impact their project progress and team performance.
For example, you can get Slack notifications:
- when a new card in Kanbanize is created ( use the "Card is created" rule)
- when a card in Kanbanize is moved to "In Progress", "For Review" or "Done" column or any of the columns in your workflow (use the "Card is Moved" rule)
- when a card has spent more than 8 days into a given column to alarm that the team might need help for its resolution (use the "Time Based" rule).
The step-by-step guideline covers the scenario in which users get Slack notifications when cards in their workflow are moved to specific columns. Note that you can configure any of the use-cases following these steps and using the respective business rule:
Step 1: Open your Slack channel - click on "Channel Settings" and select "Add an app". Please search for "Incoming Webhooks" and click "Install". You will be redirected to the app web page to click "Set Up".
Step 2: After you clicked on "Set up", please select the channel you want to integrate and click on "Add Incoming Webhook Integration".
Step 3: You will see a list of application settings. You can scroll down and change the integration name, for example, to "Kanbanize".
Step 4: After that, please, go to your "Kanbanize account" and access the "Administration" panel.
Select the "Business rules" tab and "Add a New Rule" named "Card is moved".
Step 5: In case that, you want to send the same messages when the card is moved to any of the columns on your board setup (for example "Doing" and "Done"), please specify the following parameters in the rule configuration panel:
(1) The moved card matches this filter: Position - "Doing" or "Done"
(2) Invoke Web Service -> Select Add new action and then:
-> specify the name - you have to go back to the Slack Integration Settings web page to copy the
Webhook URL (the one starting with https://hooks.slack.com/services) and paste it to the URL field in "Service Invoke Settings".
-> Select HTTP Method - POST, Authentication - NONE
-> activate the option "Send the parameters in the body of the web service call" and add the following parameters:
- text: <@Author> The card has been moved to "Column Name". "Author" and "Column Name" should be dynamic for all the cards. Please click on the green "+" icon to add these parameters from the search:
- channel: #channelName - please specify the name of the Slack channel.
Step 6: After you specified all the required information, please click on "Test Settings". You should receive a response "ok" and receive a message to your Slack channel. If everything works as expected, you can save the service, then save the business rule parameters and start testing your integration.
1) To make a mention in Slack, please make sure you added <@Username> to the notification message.
2) Slack mentions will work only if you have the same username for Kanbanize and Slack users.
3) If you would like to send different text messages to your Slack channel when the card is moved to different columns - you need more business rules to achieve it.