One of the most common use case scenarios in your daily work is locating and tracking different tasks. Having more cards on your board will lead to spending more time gazing into different tasks in order to find out the right ones. We believe that even with many tasks, columns, and swimlanes one should be able to navigate and locate the required information with the same speed as if there were only a few cards.
The Board filter is a sideboard panel that belongs to every board. You can use it to quite easily filter your board view and change your criteria on the go in order to filter out the information which is relevant to your search.
To access the Board filter, go to the Sidebar and click the Board filter icon.
Important: The filter is applied only over the viewable area of your board. Tasks in collapsed columns and swimlanes are ignored. At the moment you expand a column or a swimlane, the filter will be applied over the tasks located there.
2. How to make use of the board filter?
The Board Filter works per board. You can use it to quickly find a card on the current board that matches certain criteria.
The Board filter panel allows you to select/specify criteria for cards to be displayed on the board using any of the buttons. However, on the top of the panel, you can enter a keyword, and this way filter cards by Card ID; Assignee; Title (keyword) or Tags. The board will be filtered instantly and only cards that match the criteria you specified will be displayed.
For ease of use, the regular card fields and the custom fields are grouped into two categories so you can expand/collapse one of the categories if needed.
For example: Filter your board by Assignee and specify the name of the user from the dropdown list. Only cards assigned to the selected user will be displayed on the board.
Tip: If you select "self" you will get displayed only cards assigned to yourself.
You can select the "or" option to add more values for a selected card property. In that particular example, when you select a second assignee, the board will instantly display cards assigned to both users.
The small green enabler (1) on the right of each property will color the area in green indicating when the filter is switched on for the criterion.
To remove the filter:
-> Switch off the green checkmark (1)
-> Close the green indicator "Board filter is on" (2) at the top of the panel by selecting the "x" sign.
This tab also displays the number of cards matching your search.
Using the Board Filter tool, you can filter by:
- "Assignee" is /is not (select a username from the dropdown)
You can also search the Contributor fields (if such are available on your board) for the username you enter by enabling the option below.
- "Deadline" is / is not / before / after / is between / is in (x days ago) / was more than (x days ago)
- "Priority" is /is not (Critical, High, Average, Low)
- "Color" is /is not (select the color)
- "Tag" is / is not / contains / does not contain
- "Size" is equal to / is not equal to / is greater than / is lesser than
- "Type" is / is not
- "Blocked state" is/is not (blocked)
- "Watched" by is define the username
- "Sticker" is/is not
- "Attachments" are/are not present
- "Cards" is/ is not Linked (Parent, Children, Relative, Successor, Predecessor).
Note: Users can filter out all linked cards on a certain board. Moreover, they can use the filter to instantly find all cards that are linked to a certain card or an Initiative as parent/children/relative/successor/predecessor.
- "Card" is linked to enter a Card ID or Title
- The "Last Moved" option helps users to filter their boards based on the last cards' movement through their workflow in the desired time period. Users can filter by date using any of the following commands:
Before: The “before: YYYY-MM-DD” criteria yields result for cards that have been moved before
and within the dates specified.
After: The “after: YYYY-MM-DD” criteria yields result for cards that have been moved after and within the dates specified.
Is between: displays cards that have been moved during a specified date range. This helps users to verify if tasks are progressing forward as expected in terms of time.
More than: Fill in the number of days in the dedicated box (for example 7 days). This setup instantly displays cards that have spent more than 7 days without being moved. It acts as an indicator when a card remains stuck for too long at a certain stage of your process flow.
Less than: Fill in the number of days in the dedicated box (for example 7 days). This setup instantly displays cards that have spent less than 7 days without being moved.
- "Custom Fields": If you have added custom fields to your board, they will be also available as filter criteria in your board filter (e.g. "2nd Contributor", "Last Modified", custom fields from type "Dropdown", etc.).
Note: the order in which the custom fields are displayed in the board filter is determined by the order of custom fields for the selected board. This can be changed by clicking on the 3 dots in the sidebar menu, selecting 'Custom Fields', and using the 'Reorder Custom Fields' menu to rearrange the fields as needed.
Important: There is an And / Or slider on the bottom of the board to configure if you want the filters to be mutually exclusive or not.
3. How to save and share your Board filter?
The system allows users to save board filters in order to quickly load them again when needed (without configuring the properties). Moreover, users can share saved filters with other registered Kanabnize users.
Configure your filter and click Save at the bottom of the Board filter (1). Type the Filter name (2).
Note that the description field is optional.
(3) You can share the filter with internal users. Just select their names from the dropdown menu. Every time you share a filter with a user, they receive an email notification. This is also optional!
Note: All shared board filters become available for the selected users in the "Load" panel at the bottom of their Board filters.
Save the filter!
Important: The And / Or configuration for the filter will be preserved as well when saving a board filter.
4. How to Load/Edit/Delete a board filter?
To apply saved filters, click the "Load" icon at the bottom of the Board filter panel and select the corresponding filter name.
- To edit the filter name -> use the gear icon.
- To delete a filter -> use the trash icon.