One of the most common use case scenarios in your daily work is locating and tracking different tasks. Having more cards on your board will lead to spending more time gazing into different tasks in order to find out the right ones. We believe that even with many tasks, columns, and swimlanes, one should be able to navigate and locate the required information with the same speed as if there were only a few cards.
The "Board filter” is located in the sidebar menu and can be accessed from every board. You can use it to filter your board view easily and change your criteria on the go, in order to filter out the information which is relevant to you.
Important: The filter is applied only over the viewable area of your board. Tasks in collapsed columns and swimlanes are ignored. When you expand a column or a swimlane, the filter will be applied over the tasks located there.
If you have a single card that matches the board filter settings and this card is located in a collapsed column/lane/workflow, the location where the card is located will be expanded, and the card will be focused on your screen.
2. How to make use of the board filter?
The board filter works per board. You can use it to quickly find a card on the current board that matches certain criteria.
The advanced filter panel allows you to select/specify criteria for cards to be displayed on the board using any of the buttons. However, on the top of the panel, you can enter a keyword, and this way filter cards by Card ID, Owner, Title (keyword), or Tags. The board will be filtered instantly, and only cards that match the criteria you specified will be displayed.
For ease of use, the regular card fields and the custom fields are grouped into two categories, so you can expand/collapse one of the categories if needed.
For example: Filter your board by Owner and specify the user's name from the dropdown list. Only cards assigned to the selected user will be displayed on the board.
Tip: If you select "self" you will get displayed only cards assigned to yourself.
You can select the "or" option to add more values for a selected card property. In that particular example, when you select a second owner, the board will instantly display cards assigned to both users.
The small blue toggle button on the right of each property will color the area blue indicating when the filter is switched on for that property.
To remove the filter:
-Switch off the blue toggle button OR
-Close the green indicator at the top of the panel by clicking on the "x".
This tab also displays the number of cards matching your search.
Using the Advanced Filtering tool, you can filter by:
- "Owner" is /is not (select a username from the dropdown)
- You can also search the Contributor fields (if such are available on your board) for the username you enter by enabling the option.
- "Deadline" is / is not / before / after / is between / is in (x days ago) / was more than (x days ago)
- "Priority" is /is not (Critical, High, Average, Low)
- "Color" is /is not (select the color)
- "Tag" is / is not / contains / does not contain
- "Size" is equal to / is not equal to / is greater than / is lesser than
- "Type" is / is not
- "Blocked state" is/is not (blocked)
- "Watched" by is define the username
- "Sticker" is/is not
- "Attachments" are/are not present
- "Cards" is/ is not Linked (Parent, Children, Relative, Successor, Predecessor).
Note: Users can filter out all linked cards on a certain board. Moreover, they can use the filter to instantly find all cards that are linked to a certain card or an Initiative as parent/children/relative/successor/predecessor.
- "Card" is linked to enter a Card ID or Title
- The "Last Moved" option helps users to filter their boards based on the last cards' movement through their workflow in the desired time period. Users can filter by date using any of the following commands:
Before: The “before: YYYY-MM-DD” criteria yields result for cards that have been moved before
and within the dates specified.
After: The “after: YYYY-MM-DD” criteria yields result for cards that have been moved after and within the dates specified.
Is between: displays cards that have been moved during a specified date range. This helps users to verify if tasks are progressing forward as expected in terms of time.
More than: Fill in the number of days in the dedicated box (for example, 7 days). This setup instantly displays cards that have spent more than 7 days without being moved. It acts as an indicator when a card remains stuck for too long at a certain stage of your process flow.
Less than: Fill in the number of days in the dedicated box (for example, 7 days). This setup instantly displays cards that have spent less than 7 days without being moved.
- "Custom Fields": If you have added custom fields to your board, they will also be available as filter criteria in your board filter (e.g., "2nd Contributor", "Last Modified", custom fields of type "Dropdown", etc.).
Note: the order in which the custom fields are displayed in the board filter is determined by the order of custom fields for the selected board. This can be changed by clicking on the 3 dots in the sidebar menu, selecting 'Custom Fields', and using the 'Reorder Custom Fields' menu to rearrange the fields as needed.
Important: There is an And / Or slider on the top of the menu to configure if you want the filter properties to be mutually exclusive or not.