1. How to move cards to the next stage in your board?
Option 1: Drag & drop the card
Option 2: Move cards using the Context menu
- use the Context menu to move cards on the same Board
- use the Context menu to move cards to different Boards
Option 3: Move cards from the cards' Details Tab
2. How to Move Multiple Cards?
3. How to move cards using the keyboard?
1. How to move cards on your board?
Kanban relies on visualization! One of the key software features is moving the cards along the process steps to indicate current card progress.
Below you'll find quite helpful tips and tricks about moving cards in Kanbanize.
Option 1: Drag and drop the card to the desired column
Click on the closed card and drag and drop it to the desired column. This is the most commonly used method.
Option 2: Move cards using the card Context menu
The system allows you to move cards on the same or different boards using the Context menu.
use the Context menu to move cards on the same board
Open the card Context menu and click the "Move" icon. To move cards across the same board (img.1), you can select any of the available options: Top, Bottom, Left, Right, Up, Down.
Use the Left and Right arrows to move the cards from column to column (direction: left-to-right and right-to-left).
Use the Up, Down, Top, and Bottom arrows to move cards within the same cell. This way you can easily define the preferred card position.
use the Context menu to move cards to different boards
To move cards to different boards, you have to open the Context menu. Then select the 'Move" icon and click the last option "Move to". The system will produce a list of all boards you are assigned to.
Select the board where you want to move the card to. When you make your choice, you will be able to choose the exact card position.
Option 3: Move cards using the Position Control view in the card's Details.
Open the card and use the "Position Control view" located at its bottom to move it (img.3).
It mirrors the workflow stages of the board where the selected card is currently located.
All stages that cards have already passed through are colored in grey. Users can easily identify the current position of the card - it is marked with an icon matching the color of the stage.
You can click on any of the stages to move your card to. Update your card to change the position.
Using this feature, you can also move cards to different boards.
- To move the card to a different board -> use the In Board link to select the new board and the card position via the minimap.
- To move the card to a different workflow on the same board -> use the Workflow link and define it.
- To move the card to a different swimlane on the same board -> use the Swimlane link and define the lane.
2. How to move multiple cards?
Select multiple cards with your mouse. The selected cards will be colored in yellow.
There are two options:
- Click on any of the cards in the rectangle to drag and drop the bunch of cards to the desired position.
- The number in the top left corner of the selected cards shows you the number of cards you have selected. This is a great way to tell if you have selected all the cards you intended to select. You can also use this method to count how many cards are in any particular location on your board. The counter would also be visible when you right-click on the board and choose the 'select cell/column/swimlane' options.
- Select multiple cards with your mouse -> click on the Context menu of any of the selected cards and choose Move.
The system allows you to move the bunch of cards to the Left, Right, or to "Move to" the cards to different boards in your account.
Note: if you select "Move to", you will get the list of all boards in your account. Select the desired board and use the extra panel that appears to define the card position onto the board.
3. Moving cards using the keyboard
Apart from the regular drag and drop, you can perform advanced navigation using the keyboard or virtual arrows.
- Move cards between columns with the keyboard left and right arrow
CTRL + left click to select one or multiple cards. Then move them horizontally between columns.
- Reorder a card within a column with keyboard arrows up and down
First, you need to CTRL + left click to select a card. Then each card can be vertically moved within a column so that it is below or above another card.