The Initiatives are Kanban cards that can be created on the Initiatives Workflow and on the Timeline Workflow. They visualize your projects, epics or bigger tasks. To learn more about Initiative please, check the dedicated article.
Create Initiative on the Initiatives Workflow:
There are several ways to create an Initiative:
Option 1: Right-click in the Requested area of the Initiative Workflow and create the Initiative.
The Initiative appears as a Kanban card including all the respective properties -> fill in the information related to the Initiative and аdd it to the workflow.
Tip: The Initiative is visualized as a rectangle. Just double click to open it. Click the plus icon of the Initiative to break it down and start creating its first child cards.
Option 2: Another way to create an Initiative is using the green plus icon at the top right side of the board. Click the plus button and select "Create new initiative".
The Initiative gets created in the "Requested" column of the Initiatives workflow.
- Create new parent initiative - the card you dragged will trigger an Initiative creation and will be automatically linked to it as a child card. Afterward, the card will be positioned back at its previous board location.
- Create new relative Initiative- the card you dragged will trigger an Initiative creation and will be automatically linked to it as a relative card.
- Create new predecessor initiative - the card you dragged will trigger an Initiative creation and will be automatically linked to it as a successor.
- Create new successor initiative - the card you dragged will trigger an Initiative creation and will be automatically linked to it as a predecessor. .
- Convert to an Initiative - simply, convert the card to Initiative. The card will no longer exist.
- Copy as an initiative - copy the card as an Initiative. Both the card and the Initiative will be preserved without any relation between the two items.
Option 4: You can create an Initiative of multiple cards, using the drag & drop functionality.
Select a group of existing cards (by drawing a box around them), then drag & drop them to the Requested column of the Initiatives Workflow. The system provides you with the same linking options as explained in p.3 above.
Option 5: Importing Initiatives using an Excel spreadsheet is the quickest way to populate your Kanban board, without having to create them manually.
Note that you can use the "Kanbanize for Sheets" add-on to import Initiatives.
Create Initiatives on the Timeline Workflow
You can create Initiatives on the Timeline Workflow in the past, present, and future.
The vertically green line marker always defines the current day. Don't forget to consider it as an indicator when you map your projects.
To create an Initiative, you have to right-click or double click on the track area that corresponds to the desired date (check the short video below). This is the Planned Start Date of your Initiative (i.e April 8th). Type the Initiative name to create the item and click "Enter". Move the mouse over the Initiative right edge and click to drag the slider in order to adjust the Planned End date (i.e April 10th) to the Timeline.
With these actions, you just create the Item. The child cards are still not linked to the Timeline initiative.
To learn more about the Timeline Workflow, please, check the dedicated article.