Initiatives get created at the Initiatives Workflow or at the Timeline workflow.
When you create your first Initiative, you are supposed to input initiative-related data in the corresponding fields. For еxample: Title, an Assignee, Deadline, Size, etc.
Then click the ADD button on the bottom right corner to create it.
Important: The Initiative as an item has the same properties as the Kanban card. For more information, check the dedicated article.
In the image below, you can see how the Initiative closed view that you just created looks like.
A closer look at the initiative shows each icon that corresponds to an initiative property (type, subtasks, custom fields, size, tag, comments, external link, priority, cyle & logged time, deadline, links), numbered 1 to 15.
Important: Icons appear only when a corresponding property value is set. For example, if there are no subtasks or custom fields' entries, the icons will be hidden.
(1) Type - hover over the icon to see the current Initiative type. Click once to change the type.
(2) Progress Indicator - each Initiative has a progress indicator that shows the percentage of the completed cards. When all child cards, linked to the Initiative are moved to the "Done" column, the Initiative progress indicator will become 100% and it will be considered completed.
(3) Title - give your Initiative a name.
(4) Subtasks - click once on the Subtask icon to display all subtasks of the Initiative. Double click to toggle subtasks for all Initiatives. To close the details, click the icon again or refresh (F5) your board.
(5) Custom Fields- click once on the icon to display all custom fields for the Initiative. Double click to toggle custom fields for all Initiatives. To close the details, click the icon again or refresh (F5) your board.
(6) Size - hover over the icon to see how big the task is. Click once to re-size the Initiative.
Note: In addition, each initiative has a cumulative size that becomes visible in a dedicated field.
The cumulative size of the Initiative is calculated as the sum of the sizes of all its child cards.
The system considers if there is a further break down of the linked work items in a hierarchy in order to sum up the actual total size. If the card size filed is empty, the default size of the card is “1”.
To learn how the system calculates the cumulative size, please check the dedicated article.
(7) Tag - hover over the icon to see the tag name. Click once to change the tag and set it up.
(8) Comment - hover over the icon to see the number of comments. Click once to open the Comments section of the Initiative.
(9) External Link - hover over the icon to see the external link. Click once to open a box and change it.
(10) Attachments - hover on the icon to see the number of files you attached to the card.
(11) Assignee - usually it displayed the avatar of the user who is assigned to the Initiative or the first letter from their initials.
(12) Links - each child card, linked to the Initiative, is represented by a colored rectangle.
The change we made improves the overview visibility of all card's links, irrespective of the link type. Click the empty space next to the last rectangle to display all existing links (parent, child, relative, successor, predecessor) of the respective card. To close the list of links, click on the same area again or refresh (F5) your board.
Click on the icons numbered (4) Subtasks, (5) Custom fields, (12) Links to have a combined view of the respective properties. To close the details, click the icons again or refresh your board.
(13) Deadline - the icon displays the Initiative deadline. Click to open the calendar picker.
(14) Logged Time - the icon displays logged time for this card. Click on it to open the log time panel for additional entries.
(15) Cycle Time - the icon displays card Cycle time. Click on it to open the card Metrics tab.
Initiative Priority - the priority icon displays when card priority is set to: low, high, critical. When the priority is set to "average" the icon is not visible.