The analytics in Kanbanize work per board. Click the Analytics icon on the top of each board to access the Analytics page.
The Analytics screen presents 5 categories: Cycle Time, Throughput, WIP, Flow, Forecasting, each available as a tab item on the page. Click on a tab button to view the charts for each of the respective metrics. The Scatter plot belongs to the Cycle time category.
Introduction to Cycle Time Histogram
The Cyle time histogram is similar to the Cycle time Scatterplot, but it visualizes the data differently.
The Cycle time histogram aggregates the data and gives you the distribution of cycle time on the selected workflow.
How to set up the Cycle Time Histogram?
From the left side of the panel, you can control which data you can see on the chart.
You can even add multiple workflows (in the past, it used to be just one workflow).
In addition, you can apply other filters. For example, you may want to see only cards with high priority or cards that are of a certain type.
How does this chart work?
Across the "x" axis is a representation of time i.e. Cycle time.
On the "y" axis is the number of work items.
You have to enable the percentiles in order to get the probabilistic view of the histogram.
What's that telling us?
The histogram shows us the distribution of cycle time on the selected workflow.
It aggregates the data for a selected period of time and when we look at the chart we may conclude that:
- 50% of the working items in that workflow are usually completed in 2 days or less.
- 70% of the working items in that workflow are usually completed in 3 days or less
- 85% of the items in that workflow are usually completed in 7 days or less
- 95 % of the items in that workflow are usually completed in 17 days or less
The right side of the Histogram is called “tail” (where the bars are getting shorter). The longer the tale, the worst, because it means that work items can be completed anywhere between 1 day and 40 days.
If you do something that is supposed to be finished in 7 days and it happens to finish in 40 days, it means that your process is not efficient. The reason might be in some blockers that slow down your pace, lack of consistency in the breakdown process or bad sizing.
Recommendation: You will always have a tail, but try to analyze the reasons, take a deep look at the problematic tasks, and try making the tail shorter. Ideally, you have work items only to the left side.
Controls for this chart - customize your view
You can use the controls to change the "Cycle Time Histogram" simulation view and to apply additional filters. Please, check the short video below.
- Blocked items - include blocked time for the cards.
- Cursor - you can use the cursor options to display the cycle time, frequency or both of the current position of your mouse pointer.
- Percentiles - select and deselect percentiles to get the probabilistic view of the chart.
- Overlay- show cumulative %
- Layout - show/hide data control that allows you to zoom in and out of a specific interval within the selected time frame.
- Item Filter - filter your account data to display a smaller portion of data that you need to analyze.