1. Introduction to The "Timeline Report" widget
It is essential for Project Managers to see if the project tasks are completed accordingly and whether teams are meeting the company goals. Monitoring the progress helps you identify issues and provide an early warning of any risks.
The new "Timeline Report" widget shows a traffic light status (red/yellow/green) of all Initiatives (both started and completed) in the selected Timeline workflow.
The status indicates if the progress of already started initiatives goes in accordance with the initial plan and also pinpoints progress delays. In a quick glimpse, you can see if completed initiatives are finished on time or with a delay.
- Red indicates that the Initiative progress is far behind the schedule. With completed initiatives, it shows a significant delay.
- Yellow indicates that the Initiative progress is slightly behind schedule. With completed initiatives, it shows a slight delay.
- Green indicates that the Initiative progress is according to the plan.
You will notice that the status column has a value that shows the current progress of the respective Initiative in %. This percentage is based on the child cards' progress linked to the Initiative.
Note: FInished initiatives have 100% completion status.
On hover, an additional tooltip displays what the Initiative progress percentage is expected to be vs the current progress delay (%).
Important: How does the system calculate this?
For example, the planned duration of an Initiative is 40 days. Let's assume that we are on the 10th day, 75% of the time remains and the child cards progress is 60%. Then the initiative gets colored in green, as the remaining work is 40%, which is smaller than the 75% remaining time.
If the remaining time (%) is up to 19% smaller than the remaining work (%), color the field yellow. E.g. remaining work is 80% and the remaining time is 61%.
If the remaining time (%) is 20%+ smaller than the remaining work (%), color the field red. E.g. remaining work is 80% and the remaining time is 60% or less.
When the initiative is 100 % completed the tooltip shows the days of delay (if any). This calculation is based on the Planned end date of the working item.
Completed Initiatives have two color signals: red and yellow.
- When the color is red, the system shows a significant delay.
- When the color is yellow, the system shows a slight delay.
Planned Start and End Date deviation
The widget also indicates any deviations from the planned Start and End date of the Initiative.
There are two color signals: green and red.
- Start Date:
- Green indicates that the Initiative has started on time.
- Red indicated that the Initiative started after the planned start day. The tooltip shows the delay in days.
- End Date
- Green indicates that the Initiative has finished on time.
- Red indicates that the Initiative finished with a delay. The tooltip shows the delay in days.
2. How to add the "Timeline Report" widget?
Open a custom Dashboard of your choice and select Add Widget (2) to open the "Widgets" dedicated panel.
Select the Timeline report widget and follow the guideline below to configure it.
The Timeline widget configuration:
(1) Select the Timeline using the Board minimap. Click "Not Set" and use the dropdown to define the board where the respective Timeline is enabled. You can write down the board name in the text box field to easily filter the boards.
When the workflow setup of the selected board becomes visible, click with the mouse over the Timeline track to mark it. Note that you can select multiple Timelines using the "or" option.
(2) This filter is optional: Add cards filter to visualize Initiatives that match certain criteria. Use the pills to set the filter. When you select the pills, then click "Add" and define their values.
(3) Save the Widget.
Once you complete the setup, your widget becomes available in your custom dashboard.