The daily work with linked cards often requires copying some properties between the linked cards. For example, a common scenario is when you want to copy the color/deadline/custom fields from a parent card onto the child card that is to be created.
Kanbanize makes this possible using the ‘Copy Properties’ functionality.
This functionality is only available upon creating new linked cards. There are multiple ways to create new linked cards in the system.
Important: This feature provides a one-time copy action between the two cards and not a continuous synchronization! If you are looking for a way to synchronize card properties between cards, you can read more about how that can be achieved using business rules here.
1. How to Create New Linked Cards - the copy option
1.1 Creating a linked card via the card Context menu.
- Click on the card Context menu (1) -> then click on New linked card (2)
This way you can create a linked card without inheriting and copying any properties. If you click on the copy icon (3) a window of options appears, where you can select which properties from the original card to copy.
1.2 Creating a linked card via the Links tab in the card details.
- Open a card and click on the card Links tab (1), select the Kanban preview option (2). It displays the original card in a Kanban board view. Left-click the column or lane, where you want to create the linked card (3).
1.3 Creating a linked card via the related boards' panel
- Go to the sidebar, located to the right of each board interface, and open the Related boards' panel (1). Drag and drop the card onto the related board, where the linked card is to be created (2).
After you drop the card. the link menu appears. If you click on the Copy icon, a panel of options appears, where you can select which properties from the original card to copy.
2. Copy card details panel - selecting properties to be copied
When creating new linked cards -> clicking on the copy icon triggers a window to open. Whichever of the three scenarios above you choose, the same configuration window will appear if you click on the copy icon:
There are two different categories of fields: Regular and Custom Fields. In order to open the custom fields, you need to click on the category title to expand the list.
All the regular card fields, (e.g. Owner, Color, Title) can be selected from the respective category and will always be available on all cards and boards.
When it comes to copying custom fields, you can either select the 'All custom fields' pill from the 'Regular fields' menu to copy all custom fields onto the new card or select the specific fields you want to copy over from the 'Custom fields' menu.