1. How to apply card sorting?
We added the capability to easily define how your cards will be sorted within a column as required by your day-to-day processes. This will help you to organize your work into groups and prioritize cards, based on your use case.
There is a built-in sorting option in every column of your workflow. To sort out your cards, right-click within an empty area of a column and select "Sort Cards".
You can sort your cards by different card fields: Assignee, Deadline, Size, Cycle time, Priority, Custom Card ID, etc. Moreover, the system allows you to apply multi-level sorting by adding several criteria simultaneously.
Select the Fields (1) that you want to have the cards sorted by and define their Order (2).
The sorting process groups your cards and arranges them alphabetically or numerically in ascending or descending order.
- When you select "Apply Temporarily", changes will be applied only for you.
A text message Sorted Temorarilrly appears at the top right corner of the column. Click on it to edit the sort criteria or to remove the sort and bring cards back in their original position.
You can also refresh the board to restore the cards' previous order.
- When you apply the sorting for Everyone, cards will be reordered for all users on the board.
Important: The changes will be saved permanently and users will be able to reorder cards either manually or by editing the sort criteria.
- If the card fields have no values, the card goes at the bottom of the column.
- If your cards are already sorted and you add new cards, you will have to apply the sorting filter again in order to view them properly.
Here’s a summary of how each sort works:
- Sort by Assignee: sort your tasks by who's the Assignee, from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Sort by Blocked reason: sort your tasks by block reason from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Sort by Created date: sort your tasks by date of their creation from Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest.
- Sort by Custom Card ID: sort your tasks by their Custom ID from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Sort by Cycle Time: sort your task by their cycle time from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Sort by Deadline: sort your tasks by how soon they are due, from Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest. (Soonest <-> Latest)
- Sort by Last Move Date: sort by the last date when tasks were moved to this column from Oldest to Newest or Newest to Oldest. (Soonest <-> Latest)
- Sort by Priority: Sort your tasks by priority, from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Sort by Size: sort your task by their size from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Sort by Time in the current Column: sort your tasks by the time they spend in the respective column from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Sort by Title: sort your tasks by their Title name, from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Sort by Type: sort your tasks by their type, from A to Z or from Z to A.
2. How does Multi-level sorting work?
When you apply multi-level sorting, the system classifies your cards by the first Field you selected (for example Assignee). This way, you will have all cards for each assignee grouped together in A to Z or Z to A order.
Then the system rearranges the cards in every group by the second field (for example Deadline). The order might be ascending or descending.
The third field (for example Size) applies to cards within the groups, only if some of the values in the previously selected fields match. For example, if two cards in the group have the same deadline, the system will reorder by the size only them.
- In case that your sorting filter is applied Temporarily, you can right-click in an empty area of the column to remove it or to edit it.
- In case that your sorting filter is applied permanently (For Everyone), you can right-click in an empty area of a column and select either "Sort cards" or "Apply Last Sort".
With the first option, you can sort the cards by selecting one or more sorting criteria that fit your scenario. With the second option, you apply the very last filter.