1. How to apply Card Ordering?
We added the capability to easily define how your cards will be ordered within a column as required by your day-to-day processes. This will help you to organize your work into groups and prioritize cards based on your use case.
For a brief overview of how this works, check out the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvuovJ6i0C8
There is a built-in ordering option in every column of your workflow. To order out your cards, right-click within an empty area of a column and select "Order Cards".
Note: ordering can also be created via the Board Policies section of the sidebar menu.
You will be presented with a choice of 3 types of ordering:
Apply ordering temporarily - the cards will be reordered only for you. The previous order will be restored after a page refresh.
Apply ordering for everyone - the cards will be reordered once for everyone on the board. Users with the permissions to move cards can afterwards reorder the cards.
Apply permanent ordering - a permanent ordering policy will be applied and users will not be able to change the cards' order in this location, unless the policy is updated or removed.
When a permanent ordering policy is applied, the location has a limit of 100 cards that can be permanently ordered at all times. Moving a card into this location will not be possible unless the total number of cards is reduced.
If the card fields used in the ordering configuration have no values, the card goes to the bottom of the column.
You can order your cards by different card fields: Owner, Deadline, Size, Cycle time, Priority, Custom Card ID, etc. Moreover, the system allows you to apply multi-level ordering by adding several criteria simultaneously.
Select the Fields (1) that you want to have the cards ordered by and define their Order (2).
The ordering process groups your cards and arranges them alphabetically or numerically in ascending or descending order.
- When you select "Apply temporarily", changes will be applied only for you.
A text message Ordered Temporarily appears at the top right corner of the column. Click on it to edit the ordering criteria or to remove the order and bring cards back to their original position.
You can also refresh the board to restore the cards' previous order.
- When you apply the ordering for Everyone, cards will be reordered for all users on the board.
Here’s a summary of how each order works:
- Order by Owner: order your tasks by who's the Owner, from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Order by Blocked reason: order your tasks by block reason from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Order by Created date: order your tasks by the date of their creation from Earliest to Latest or Latest to Earliest.
- Order by Custom Card ID: order your tasks by their Custom ID from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Order by Cycle Time: order your tasks by their cycle time from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Order by Deadline: order your tasks by how soon they are due, from Earliest to Latest or Latest to Earliest.
- Order by Last Modified: order by the last date when tasks were moved to this column from Earliest to Latest or Latest to Earliest.
- Order by Priority: order your tasks by priority, from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Order by Size: order your task by their size from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Order by Local cycle time: order your tasks by the time they spend in the respective column from Smaller to Largest or from Largest to Smallest.
- Order by Title: order your tasks by their Title name, from A to Z or from Z to A.
- Order by Type: order your tasks by their type, from A to Z or from Z to A.
2. How does Multi-level Ordering work?
When you apply multi-level ordering, the system classifies your cards by the first Field you selected (for example Owner). This way, you will have all cards for each owner grouped together in A to Z or Z to A order.
Then the system rearranges the cards in every group by the second field (for example Deadline). The order might be ascending or descending.
The third field (for example Size) applies to cards within the groups, only if some of the values in the previously selected fields match. For example, if two cards in the group have the same deadline, the system will reorder by size only them.
In case your ordering filter is applied permanently (for everyone), you can right-click in an empty area of a column and either select "Remove order" or "Edit order".
With the first option, you can remove the currently applied order and with the second one, you can modify it.
After the page has been refreshed, right-clicking on the same location will allow you to apply the last order (if needed).