The Parent Card is Updated Business rule will trigger a predefined action (update or/and move) whenever a parent card is updated.
A typical example would be to update all child cards of a single parent if they match certain filters.
1. How to create the rule?
Only users with the "Account Owner" or "Manage Business Rules" roles can create business rules.
To configure the business rule, please go to the Administration panel at the top right side of your screen -> open the Business rule tab -> select the "Child Card is Moved" rule option.
Note: In case that there is a set of defined rules to your account -> use the Add new rule button at the upper right side of the panel.
2. How to set up and enable the rule?
The "Parent Card is Updated" configuration panel has the following fields and properties (img.1):
(1) Name - give a name of the rule to distinguish it.
(2) Description - provide a description of the rule behavior in the system.
Note: when a business rule is created, it will get a rule ID and will be made available in the Business rule panel under name and description.
PRO tip: You can specify the board name in the rule name in order to easily distinguish rules configured for each of your boards.
(3) Share with: this option allows you to share the rule with other users in the system so that they can edit/disable/enable the rule.
Every business rule has three main control settings: When; And; Then.
It is a sort of "point-and-click" programming language with which you can automate any process. The way it works is based on the programming conditional statement "if this then that".
To save/enable a rule click on the green checkmark at the top right corner of the configuration panel.
(4) WHEN: "Parent Card is Updated" is the event that will trigger an action.
(5) AND - define the filters and select the conditions under which the actions should be triggered.
- The "Board is” filter is а mandatory field for this rule.
Select a board from the dropdown list and from the minimap board select the column/cell (for example: In progress) where the parent card is to be moved.
Note: You can use "or" to add extra boards and optimize the scope of the rule. Use the minus sign to remove a board.
- Use "Add new property" to configure the automation further. Select a regular or custom field from the panel (for example, 'tag is' and choose a tag).
(6) THEN - select add new action to specify what to update in the child cards.
If you want to move the child cards, click choose where to move. Define the board and specify the column/lane (for example: In progress) where the system will move the child card. You can select a cell or an entire column by clicking on the column's name from the board minimap.
As a result, whenever a parent card on Board X is updated -> the child card will be automatically moved or updated, depending on your configuration.
Please, read more about parent/child links and how to create them.
3. Practical examples for using the 'Parent Card is Updated' rule
An example of this rule being used is whenever a custom field on a parent/initiative card is updated (here, the Custom field is called Estimated hours), its child cards should also be updated and moved to a specified location. In the example rule below, the rule states that if the value of the updated custom field 'Estimated Hours' on the parent card is larger than 40, the child cards should be moved to the 'For Approval' column and an 'Attention' sticker should be applied on them.
Note: by default, initiatives are automatically moved based on their linked child cards' movement, but not the other way around.