What is SLE?
The Service Level Expectations (SLEs for short) in Kanbanize are a configuration that defines the maximum time a card shall remain in a given column/lane/cell. SLEs provide an easy way to see which cards are taking longer than expected. This is the visual representation of SLEs on a card:
How to create SLEs for your Board?
Navigate to the 'Edit Workflow' to open the board configuration menu.
As you may notice from the image below, SLEs can only be configured for columns and cells that are part of the 'Requested' and 'In Progress' sections.
Note: SLEs can also be enabled per lane but will only apply to the In Progress section. This is because a card presumably spends all of its active time there.
Important: To set SLEs on a given board, you need to have the "Edit Workflow" privilege. Alternatively, you need to be a Workspace Manager for the corresponding workspace or an Account Owner.
Main SLE properties
- Name - give a name to the SLE.
- Max cycle time - the maximum amount of time that should be spent on the tasks
- Time units - choose the desired unit of time for the SLE - Days, Hours, or Minutes.
- Filter - choose the location where the SLE is active on the board. This is a required field.
- Add cards filter - if you don’t want the SLE to apply to all the cards going through the column or swimlane, you can narrow it down to only specific cards, for example, cards of type “Defect”.
After you open Advanced Settings, you will see the following:
- Configure Working Days (Time zone) - you can configure the time zone for the SLE. By default, the creator's time zone will be automatically selected. This will prevent any inconsistencies whenever there are differences between the time zones of the SLE creator and the board users.
- Configure Working Days - you can configure the working days for the column for more precise time measurement. By default, working days are set to Monday to Sunday.
- Configure Working Hours - you can configure the working hours for the column for even more precise time measurement. By default, the working hours are set to 00:00 to 24:00.
How to set up additional card filters for SLE?
When you click on 'Add card filters', you will see this window:
Let's say you only want to have the SLE available for cards of Critical priority - selecting the priority property from the above menu will allow you to do so.
Note: There will be dedicated charts for analyzing SLEs in the foreseeable future.