In some cases, users might have the need to migrate a board from one workspace to another, or simply make a copy of an existing board and easily recreate it in another workspace. In addition, a board might have been created as part of a Team workspace and users might feel the need to convert the board into a Management one, or vice versa.
This article explains how those three actions can be performed.
2. Permissions required for Copying/Moving/Converting Boards
If you would like to make a copy of a board, you need to have the Account Owner role or have the Workspace Manager role for the workspace in which the board is located.
If you would like to copy* a board from one workspace to another, you need to have the Workspace Manager role for both workspaces.
If you would like to move a board from one workspace to another, you need to have the Workspace Manager role for both workspaces (the source workspace - where the board is currently located, and the destination workspace - where the board will be moved).
* Creating or copying workspaces and boards might be limited to Account Owners only. There is a dedicated configuration that can be found in the Security Controls section of the Account Administration panel:
- Only Account Owners can create/copy workspaces and boards - If enabled, it allows the creation/copying of workspaces and boards only by Account Owners. If disabled, Workspace Managers will be able to create/copy boards too.
3. How to Copy, Move or Convert a Board?
Navigate to the Home Dashboard Page where all your Workspaces and Boards are located and choose the board that you would like to copy/move/convert.
Open the Board Settings menu by clicking on the 3 dots to the right of the board, as shown below:
- How to Copy a Board?
From the settings dropdown menu, choose the clone action - a list of the available workspaces where you can copy the board will appear, with the source Workspace pre-selected as default.
Select the workspace in which you would like to copy the board:
Before selecting the "Clone" button, you can choose to copy some board settings such as:
- Copy all members of the current board
- Copy all teams of the current board
- Copy the following card elements:
- custom fields
- Copy all cards to the new board (the comments will not be copied) with the following options:
- move all cards to the backlog (preserves swim lanes)
- preserve owners
- preserve co-owners
- preserve links*:
- parent-child links
- relative links
- predecessor-successor links
*Note that only links within the board that is copied will be preserved.
- If “Copy cards” is selected and the cards on the current board contain any card elements (e.g. tags, stickers, types), and these card fields are not selected as options above, the cards will be copied without the card fields being included.
- Archived cards would not be copied
- If you have selected the “Copy all cards” option and that includes cards that are blocked but the “Blockers” card field has not been selected, these cards would be transferred with a “Generic blocker” and a comment - the name of the originally used Blocker.
To copy the whole workspace along with all of its boards, check the dedicated article.
- How to Move a Board?
From the settings dropdown menu, choose the move action - a list of the available workspaces where you can move the board will appear.
Moving the board will basically disconnect it from the source workspace and populate it into the destination workspace.
- How to Convert a Board?
You can check out the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Py5q4QUGVQ or follow the instructions below.
If you want to convert a team board into a management one (or vice versa), choose the convert action from the settings dropdown menu. This will basically disconnect the board from the source workspace and will populate it in the destination workspace.
A list of the available workspaces where you can move the board will appear.
If you are converting a Team board, the list would only contain Management workspaces.
Similarly, if you are converting a Management board, the list would only contain Team workspaces.
If you are converting a Management board to a Team board, all linked workflows will be disconnected upon board conversion.
Similarly, if you are converting a Team board to a Management board, all related boards will be disconnected upon board conversion.