The Relative Card is Updated Business rule will trigger a predefined action (move, update or copy some of the card properties) whenever a relative card is updated.
A typical example would be to update a relative card if the updated relative card update matches certain filters.
1. How to create the rule?
Only users with the "Account Owner" or "Manage Business Rules" roles can create business rules.
To configure the business rule, please go to the Administration panel at the top right side of your screen -> open the Business rule tab -> select the "Relative Card is Updated" rule option.
Note: In case that there is a set of defined rules to your account -> use the Add new rule button at the upper right side of the panel.
2. How to set up and enable the rule?
The "Relative Card is Updated" configuration panel has the following fields and properties :
(1) Name - give a name of the rule to distinguish it.
(2) Description - provide a description of the rule behavior in the system.
Note: when a business rule is created, it will get a rule ID and will be made available in the Business rule panel under name and description.
PRO tip: You can specify the board name in the rule name in order to easily distinguish rules configured for each of your boards.
(3) Share with: this option allows you to share the rule with other users in the system so that they can edit/disable/enable the rule.
Every business rule has three main control settings: When; And; Then.
It is a sort of "point-and-click" programming language with which you can automate any process. The way it works is based on the programming conditional statement "if this then that".
To save/enable a rule click on the green checkmark at the top right corner of the configuration panel.
(4) WHEN: "Relative Card is Updated" is the event that will trigger an action.
(5) AND - define the filters and select the conditions under which the actions should be triggered.
- The "Board is” filter is а mandatory field for this rule.
Note: You can use "or" to add extra boards and optimize the scope of the rule. Use the minus sign to remove a board.
- Use "Add new property" to configure the automation further. Select a regular or custom field from the panel (for example, 'tag is' and choose a tag).
- If you want to move the relative card, click choose where to move. Define the board and specify the column/lane (for example: In progress) where the system will move the relative card. You can select a cell or an entire column by clicking on the column's name from the board minimap.
- You can update the relative card with a predefined action when an update in the other relative triggers it.
- You can copy card fields from the relative card onto the other relative card by setting up which fields should be copied when triggered by an update
As a result, whenever a relative card is updated -> the other relative card will be automatically moved, updated, and depending on your configuration, some of the card properties can be copied to the other relative card.
Please, read more about relative card links and how to create them.
3. Using the 'Relative Card is Updated' rule to copy card fields into the other relative cards
This rule can be used to copy card fields (both regular and custom* fields) between cards. There is a configuration in the Then section that can be set up so that you can copy the values of the selected fields from one relative into the other.
*Note for custom fields: in some cases, the copy operation between two cards on different boards might fail. This can happen if:
- a custom field is not enabled on the target board
- a custom field has an empty value on the trigger card but has an enforced value on the target card
- the custom field on the target card already has a value and it is immutable
- a custom field that has different min/max values on the two boards
- a custom field that has values, which must be unique
- a custom field value that is not one of the allowed values on the target card
Important: for any of the above cases, the whole copy operation would fail which would also cause any other regular card fields, configured in the rule, to not be copied.