This Business rule will trigger a predefined action (update and/or move the predecessor card) whenever its successor is moved to a predefined set of columns/swimlanes.
A typical example would be to set a specific field value on the predecessor card whenever its successor is moved to 'In progress'.
1. How to create the rule?
Only users with the "Account Owner" or "Manage Business Rules" roles can create business rules.
To configure the business rule, please go to the Administration panel at the top right side of your screen -> open the Business rule tab -> select the "Successor card is moved" rule option.
Note: In case that there is a set of defined rules to your account -> use the Add new rule button at the upper right side of the panel.
2. How to set up and enable the rule?
The "Successor card is moved" configuration panel has the following fields and properties :
(1) Name - give a name of the rule to distinguish it.
(2) Description - provide a description of the rule behavior in the system.
Note: when a business rule is created, it will get a rule ID and will be made available in the Business rule panel under name and description.
PRO tip: You can specify the board name in the rule name in order to easily distinguish rules configured for each of your boards.
(3) Share with: this option allows you to share the rule with other users in the system so that they can edit/disable/enable the rule.
Every business rule has three main control settings: When; And; Then.
It is a sort of "point-and-click" programming language with which you can automate any process. The way it works is based on the programming conditional statement "if this then that".
To save/enable a rule click on the green checkmark at the top right corner of the configuration panel.
4. WHEN - this is the event that will trigger an action when it occurs (i.e. a successor card is moved).
5. AND - here you define the filters, which specify the conditions under which the actions should be triggered.
- Position: the filter position is mandatory for this rule. There are two options: position is/is not - select one of the options from the dropdown. Click on Not Set to select a board from the dropdown and a position from the board minimap (you can select a cell or an entire column/swimlane by clicking on its name).
Click on "or" to add extra positions and optimize the scope of the rule. Use the minus sign to remove a position.
- Click on the Add new property button to add extra filters, if necessary. Select a Regular field or/and a Custom field -> click on Add.
- For all time-related fields, you can select the following units: Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds. You can also set Custom Fields that you have created and added to the corresponding boards in your Workspaces as a filter.
When you have added the filter, set it up by clicking on Not set or enter a value.
Note: You can add as many filters as you wish by clicking on Add new property and repeating the steps.
6. THEN -
(1) You can update the predecessor card with a predefined action when the successor moves to a certain position on the board.
(2) You can move the predecessor card when triggered by a move in the successor. To define the position where the predecessor card is to be moved, you can configure it from this menu:
Click on Choose where to move -> select the board and position from the board minimap (you can select a cell or an entire column/swimlane by clicking on its name).
In addition, for cases where you have more than 2 predecessor cards linked to the successor, you can create a filter that specifies where to move each predecessor card separately. To define where multiple predecessor cards should be moved to, all you have to do is click Add a new move action and then create a specific filter (e.g. board, workflow, swimlane etc) for it.
Note: the predecessor card must be in the 'Done' section of the board in order for the successor card to be moved to the 'In Progress' section.