Power Automate is a web automation tool part of Office 365. It allows you to connect different applications using the built-in and third-party connectors available within. You create flows using those connectors, which automate multiple actions you need to do. Each flow has a trigger - an event that starts it - and a body, some actions which are executed sequentially by Power Automate. There are hundreds of modules available for you to use, which allows you to build all kinds of flows and automations.
Check out the available connectors here.
What we will show you is how to build two simple cloud flows. The first case will be to add a new event in Google Calendar when we create a new card in Kanbanize, which has a deadline, and the second will be to create a card in Kanbanize when a new issue is created in Jira. More details on these two flows follow below.
Add event to Google Calendar when a new card is created in Kanbanize
1. Create a new "Instant cloud flow" and select "General Trigger" from Kanbanize.
2. This trigger will work for all events that happen on the selected board, so you will have to set it to filter only those events that you are interested in. In this case, it is the "Card created" event. There are two ways to set this up.
2.1 You can add new "Condition -> Control" action and filter the "event" to match "Card created" as тхе next step in the flow.
2.2 OR you can change the settings of the trigger and add one "Trigger Condition" that will check for the exact value of the event. It has to be set like this:
@contains(triggerBody()?['event'], 'Card created')
3. Once we have the event handler, we need to get all the information for the card that triggered this event. We will use the "Get Card by ID" action. You can get both the board ID and card ID from the trigger details.
4. Now we have all the details, and we can use this data in the flow. In this sample, we want to add a new event to Google Calendar, which will use the data from the "deadline" field in our card. Add Google Calendar "Create an event" action, select the calendar where you want the event to appear, and set the "Start time" and "End time" to take the value of the "deadline" field. Optionally you can also set the "Title" to be the "title" of the card.
5. That's it. Save it, and next time when a new card is created and a deadline is set for it, this will show as a new event in your Google Calendar.
Create a new card in Kanbanize when a new issue is created in Jira
Our second example will show how you can create a card in Kanbanize when a new issue is created in Jira. Many teams use Jira for their everyday tasks, but if your management needs an overview of the ongoing work, you can use Kanbanize to track it and get your reports and statistics. Here is how to make this flow.
1. Create new "Instant cloud flow" and select "General Trigger" from Kanbanize.
2. Add "Create a task" action from Kanbanize connector and set the values of the card fields to be taken from Jira.
Those are two easy-to-make flows, but Power Automate offers many more functionalities, allowing you to have a lot more complex flows. Explore its documentation to get to know all the possibilities of this automation tool.